|Headquarters||New York City, New York|
|Products||Music events, magazines|
CMJ Holdings, Corp. was a music events and online media company which ran a website, hosted an annual festival in New York City, and published CMJ New Music Monthly.
History and operations
CMJ.com publishes top 30 lists sent to them by radio stations, which subscribe at a cost of a few hundred dollars a year. CMJ formerly published these lists in CMJ New Music Report, CMJ's trade publication. The magazine moved to an online only format and is currently released weekly as a digital PDF magazine. It also published CMJ New Music Monthly, which was a magazine with interviews, reviews, and special features. The staff puts together CMJ Music Marathon, a convention and music festival, each autumn, in New York. A second festival, the CMJ Rock Hall Music Fest, took place in Cleveland in 2005 and 2006; in April 2007, organizers canceled the event, citing strains on financial and staffing resources.
CMJ New Music Monthly
CMJ New Music Monthly was a monthly music magazine with interviews, reviews, and special features published from 1993 to 2009. Each issue included a compact disc with 15 to 24 songs by well established bands, unsigned bands, and everything in between. As of issue 156 (1112 using the CMJ New Music Report numbering), dated June 20, 2009, the magazine ceased operation, and subscribers had their remaining issues replaced by the CMJ New Music Report with a music compilation available online. By April 2010, it stopped delivering CMJ New Music Report to its subscribers.
- Harrison, Ed. "Magazine Slants To Programmers" Billboard January 20, 1979: 68
- CMJ New Music Report January 5, 2004: 10
- Soeder, John. CMJ/Rock Hall Music Fest cancelled after two-year run Archived 2016-01-13 at the Wayback Machine., The Plain Dealer, April 6, 2007.
- Joe Logan (November 29, 1994). "When Worlds Fail". Philly. Retrieved January 28, 2016.
- "Dear CMJ New Music Monthly Subscriber". CMJ New Music. Issue 1112. June 20, 2009. p. 23.