College Park Academy
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|College Park Academy|
5751 Rivertech Court, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
|School district||Prince George's County Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Kevin M. Maxwell|
|Principal||Steven Baker, Gordon Libby|
|Grades||6th–11th (12th grade by 2018)|
|• Grade 6||124|
|• Grade 7||116|
|• Grade 8||113|
|• Grade 9||103|
|• Grade 10||96|
|• Grade 11||85|
|Communities served||Prince George's County, Maryland, surrounding communities|
College Park Academy (commonly CPA) is a charter school middle and high school located in Riverdale Park, Maryland. The school is a joint collaboration project with the University of Maryland, College Park. This will provide benefits such as interaction with college students and allow students to take college prep classes.
Established in 2013 as the first online computer school in Prince George's County Public Schools, College Park Academy uses the online education program Connexus. This allows students complete their classes via computer in school, providing a more resource efficient method of teaching, with teachers acting as aids and guides whenever the students need them. The school currently has 541 students in grades 6th to 10th, with a planned total number of 700 students by 2019. The school uses a lottery-based system to allow different students from all parts of the community to attend the school.
The nascent College Park Academy attempted to lease the previous College Park elementary building in College Park, but there was community opposition. Instead it chose to lease space in the former St. Mark’s School in Hyattsville. The school opened with grades 6-7 in August 2013; at the time it had about 300 students.
The school built a new 50,400-square-foot (4,680 m2) facility to house the students and plans to open in the fall of 2017 at its new location, south of College Park-University of Maryland station and across from the National Weather Service building at the University of Maryland. According to sources, the schools official grand opening will be on September 14 and 21, 2017. Its permanent campus in Riverdale Park opened on Tuesday October 3, 2017. At the time the school had 500 students.
|Two or More||6%|
As of 2013[update] all course modules and information is available for students on the internet. About half of the teaching is done in person while students use the internet service to access the remainder of the teaching information.
- Wiggins, Ovetta (October 21, 2013). "College Park Academy charter school, connected to U-Md., is officially opened". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- "Enrollment for Grade 6 All Students". Maryland State Department of Education. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- "Enrollment for Grade 7 All Students". Maryland State Department of Education. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- "Enrollment for Grade 8 All Students". Maryland State Department of Education. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- "Enrollment for Grade 9 All Students". Maryland State Department of Education. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- "Contact Us." College Park Academy Public Charter School. Retrieved on September 6, 2018. "5751 Rivertech Court Riverdale Park, MD 20737"
- Weaver, Rosanna Landis (2013-01-15). "Charter school to open in Hyattsville". Hyattsville Life & Times. Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- Roscoe, Jack (2017-10-04). "UMD celebrates College Park Academy's opening in Riverdale Park". The Diamondback. Retrieved 2018-09-06.
|This Maryland school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|