College Roomies from Hell!!!
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|College Roomies from Hell!!!|
|Current status / schedule||Monday, Wednesday, Friday|
|Launch date||January 1, 1999 |
College Roomies from Hell!!! or CRFH!!! as it is known to fans, is a webcomic strip by Maritza Campos-Rebolledo. It started January 1, 1999. Since 2010 it updated only sporadically and went on hiatus between January 2, 2012 and March 30, 2012, when irregular updates resumed. The comic depicts the lives of six college students living together in an apartment building.
College Roomies from Hell!!! depicts the lives of six college students attending an unnamed college somewhere in the United States. Forced out of their dormitory by a gas leak explosion, Mike Green, David Jones, Roger Pepitone, Marsha Hart, Margaret Browning, and April Sommers move into an apartment building near their college. Here they come across various supernatural events.
Lauren Davis from ComicsAlliance stated that the webcomic is "filled to the brim with soul cats, werecoyotes, mutated college students, supervillain stepparents, evil calculus teachers and the Devil’s avocado," noting the "sheer amount of insanity" of every strip of the comic.
In 1999, College Roomies from Hell!!! began as a newspaper-style serial, though its fantastical plot overtook the fairly grounded story during its first year. Over time, Campos-Revolledo's artstyle developed significantly, causing later strips to look substantially different from her early work. Despite its shaky update schedule, College Roomies from Hell!!! became one of the longest running webcomics, and as of April 2017, it is still ongoing.
Funky horror is a running gag within College Roomies from Hell!!!, that became popular as a meme to its audience. The phrase "The horror! The funky horror!" is one of the catchphrases in the comic – adapted from the last lines of Francis Ford Coppola's film Apocalypse Now: "The horror... the horror...", which in turn was adapted from Joseph Conrad's novel Heart of Darkness.
College Roomies from Hell!!! has been nominated for several Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards, winning "Best Writing" and "Best Serial Comic" in 2001, and "Outstanding Character Development" in 2002.
Campos-Rebolledo went on to create the webcomic Power Nap in collaboration with the artist Bachan.
- Davis, Lauren (December 28, 2011). "In the 'Power Nap' Future, No One Sleeps Except the Last Sane Man on Earth". ComicsAlliance. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016.
- Dunstan, Elliott (2017-04-14). "'College Roomies From Hell!' Turns Eighteen Years Old". Monkeys Fighting Robots.
- "Picturevoice: Health Communication Through Art." Presentation. Society for Public Health Education 60th Annual Meeting. Philadelphia, PA. November 6, 2009.
- "2001 Winners and Nominees". Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards. Archived from the original on January 17, 2016.
- "2002 Winners and Nominees". Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016.
- Griffith, Eric (2015-02-14). "The Best Webcomics 2015". PC Magazine.