College of Engineering Chengannur
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|കോളേജ് ഓഫ് എഞ്ചിനീയറിംഗ് ചെങ്ങന്നൂർ
|Motto||To become a frontline global institute.|
Aided by the World Bank under TEQIP Programme Govt. of India
|Location||Chengannur, Kerala, India
|Affiliations||CUSAT, AICTE, A P J Abdul Kalam Technological University (initially KTU) - 2015 onwards|
The Government College of Engineering Chengannur (established in 1993), commonly known as CEC, is an engineering institute in the state of Kerala, India. The college is located in Chengannur, Alappuzha. The college was set up under the auspices of the Institute of Human Resources Development (IHRD), is affiliated to the Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kochi, and the courses are recognised by AICTE and accredited by NBA, the National Board of Accreditation, India. CEC is the Best Engineering College after Model Engineering College in Kerala under CUSAT, as per the statistics of Director of Technical Education, Kerala, who is the final voice of technical education in Kerala State.
- 1 Location
- 2 Overview
- 3 Courses
- 4 About
- 5 Technical organizations
- 6 Non-technical organizations
- 7 Training Placement Cell
- 8 Entrepreneurship
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
CEC is situated in the heart of Chengannur, The M.C. Road links it to Thiruvananthapuram International Airport (100 km south) and Kochi Airport (100 km north). The Chengannur Railway Station and Bus Station is 1 km from the college.
The college has been approved by the All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi and recognized by the Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT). Being located in Chengannur town, Alleppey district, the college has access to transport, communication and lodging facilities. It was one among the five engineering colleges in Kerala selected by the government of India for the Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP). The college is listed as `CHN' in the allocation list of engineering seats maintained by the Commissioner for Entrance Examinations, Government of Kerala
Two year postgraduate course in:
- M.Tech Electronics Engineering (VLSI and Embedded Systems) - 24 seats (from academic year 2010-11)
- M.Tech Computer Science (Digital Image Processing) - 24 seats
Four-year B.Tech. degrees in:
- Computer Science and Engineering - 120 seats(formerly, Computer Engineering)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering - 120 seats (formerly, Electronics Engineering)
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering - 120 seats (from academic year 2009-10)
- Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering - 60 seats(from academic year 2012-13)
The degrees are awarded by Cochin University of Science and Technology, recognized by AICTE and accredited by the National Board of Accreditation.
Admission to the courses is on an annual basis and is based on the All Kerala Common Entrance Examination conducted by the Controller of Entrance Examinations, government of Kerala. The admissions to the free/merit seats and management seats are through the Central Allotment Process conducted by the Controller of Entrance Examinations, government of Kerala. The proportion of seats are as follows : free/merit seats 50%, management seats 35% (as aforementioned allotment to both these categories are through the Central Allotment Process ), the remaining 15% seats come under the NRI quota.
CEC has an annual intake of 420 students (+10% lateral entry students) through government allotment, divided among the four branches as follows:
- Computer Science and Engineering: 120 (+10% lateral entry students)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering: 120 (+10% lateral entry students)
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering: 120 (+10% lateral entry students)
- Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering: 60 (+10% lateral entry students)
CEC technical and non-technical events
Summit is a biennial technical festival conducted by the college, to providing a platform for improving the technical and non-technical skills of the students. The Summit offers events including seminars and workshops.
Summit'12 was the sixth event of its kind, a three-day festival. Summit '12 differed from its predecessor as it was a techno-cultural event. The last Summit was held in September, 2016.
IEEE Student Branch
An IEEE student branch was formed in CEC in mid-1997, with the goal of keeping the students in touch with technological advances. An IEEE library was inaugurated in December 1999. The library houses journals and magazines of IEEE. The IEEE student branch comes under the IEEE Kerala Section (http://www.ewh.ieee.org/r10/kerala/) (http://www.cecieee.org) CEC's IEEE student members have presented projects at state and national level conferences and competitions. An IEEE Robotics Initiative Program has begun, with groups designing robots. IEEE-CEC is known for its consistent achievements since its inception in 1996. IEEE-CEC is also known for many firsts including being the first IEEE Student Branch in the world to win the IEEE WIE SB Affinity Group of the year award in 2005.
PRODDEC (Product Design and Development Centre)
PRODDEC provides a platform for students of both branches to exchange ideas and sharpen their technical skills. It organizes seminars by professionals and engineers and publishes a technical journal called Breakthrough.
FOCES (Forum of Computer Engineering Students)
FOCES is an organization of CSE students of the college. The forum aims at improving the technical and industrial knowledge of the students and strives to keep them abreast with software and technologies evolving in the information technology field. It welcomes the freshers into the world of computer engineering by conducting orientation classes.
After renovating FOCES in January 2010, its code of conduct has changed slightly and now all students can join the forum, but CSE students are default members. Newsletters and CDs are brought out to keep the students abreast of trends. It organizes talks by personalities in the industry on evolving technologies in computing, workshops on developing platforms, languages and software packages in the IT industry..
Website: - http://www.foces.org
ExESS (ElectronicS Engineering Students Society)
The activities of ExESS have helped students in attending state and national level contests. Apart from conducting technical learning sessions for Component familiarisations and Electronic Design Automation (EDA) tools, ExESS also does hands on training sessions for soldering and PCB fabrication.
FLOSS (Free/Libre/Open-Source Software) Cell
The FLOSS cell has been organised to explain Open Source and Linux. The cell conducts Linux familiarisation classes, installation sessions and other activities. FLOSS Cell helps install and maintain systems and LAN in the nearby government school.
Integrated with the NSS unit, it undertakes campus cleaning drives, sending volunteers to the Pulse-Polio Immunization programs of the Government of India, and organizes orphanage visits.
CEC has joined hands with the "Save the Earth" global movement through the `Aranyam' forestry club. Group discussions, awareness camps and visits to nearby sanctuaries are some of the activities.
ACE (Arts Club for Engineers) provides a platform for students to develop their creative skills. It runs Music club, Quiz and Debate club and Audio Visual club. The Arts Club organizes "Utsav", the college arts festival.
The Students' Executive Senate (CEC Senate)
The Students Executive Senate, simply known as 'CEC Senate', is the supreme student body. The members of the senate are elected by and from the students, with two representatives from each class. The objectives of the senate are: to train the students of the college in their duties, responsibilities and rights, to organize debates, seminars, group discussions, work squads, and tours, and to encourage sports, arts and other cultural, social or recreational activities.
Training Placement Cell
The Training and Placement Cell (TPC) is a blend of faculty and students. With a group of students led by a Placement officer (Mr Gopakumar) the TPC helps the CeCians choose their goal, prepare for it and find placements in work. The TPC of Chengannur Engineering College was the first of its kind, among the college placement units in the state, to introduce an 'Industry like' screening system for the selection as TPC student members.
Present as well as former students of College of Engineering Chengannur, have shown excellent entrepreneurship capabilities. Over 30+  Companies (Registered) have been initiated from this institute.
Some of the noteworthy companies from College of Engineering Chengannur are :
- ExTravelMoney Technosol - Online Forex Services Product
- Profoundis Labs - IT Solutions (Acquired by FullContact)
- Red Panthers - Software Consultancy firm specializing in Ruby on Rails
- Veeble Softtech - Web Hosting, Web Development Company
- Poornam Infovision - IT Solutions
- Perleybrook Labs LLC - IT Solutions
- Entri.me - Educational Tech Product Startup
- Praudyogiki Technolabs LLP - IT Solutions
- "vision". Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Principal". Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Admissions". Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "IHRD Official Website". ihrd.ac.in. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Higher Education India Directory". highereducationinindia.com. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "IEEE CEC Website". ieeecec.org. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "IEEE WIE Newsletter Extract". slideshare.net. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Hall of fame | College of Engineering Chengannur Alumni Relations". cecians.in. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- "Extravelmoney: A Startup Creating a One Stop Shop for All Forex Needs". 2015-05-30. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- "Blockbuster deal: US firm acquires Kochi-based startup Profoundis | Video". Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- "Make the right choice". The Hindu. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to College of Engineering Chengannur.|
- Official website
- CEC Alumni website
- CECians unofficial blog
- SUMMIT '14 National Level Technical Fest website (new)
- Cochin University of Science And Technology official website
- The Institute of Human Resource Development Kerala official website
- FLOSS cell of CEC
- The IEEE Student Branch
- CEC on Twitter
- CECians Google Group (new)