University College of Estate Management
The University College of Estate Management (formerly the College of Estate Management; CEM)  formally located at the University of Reading's Whiteknights Campus, UCEM moved premises in September 2016 to 60 Queens Road, Reading, Berkshire. UCEM is a vocational education institution which provides courses by distance learning for people in the property and construction industries throughout the world. UCEM is also one of eight original members of the Independent Universities Group, made up of universities not funded by the HEFCE.
The College of Estate Management was founded in 1919 by the "Chartered Auctioneers' and Estate Agent's Institute" later becoming the "Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors" (RICS). The college which was formed specifically to serve the property-related Estate Management and Construction industry sectors. The scale of British lives lost in World War 1 had led to a shortage of trained staff to manage the country's estates. In 1938 the College gained recognition from the University of London to provide tuition for its internal degree. An association with the University of Reading goes back to 1967 and the College relocated from Kensington in London to the University of Reading's Whiteknights Campus in 1972.
Today UCEM is an independent self-funded charity, which His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales has been its patron since 1998  and was granted Taught Degree Awarding Powers in its own right by the Privy Council, which came into force in January 2013. On 11 November 2015, CEM was awarded university college status by the Privy Council and changed its name to the University College of Estate Management.
Courses and qualifications offered
A large variety of courses are offered, including programmes accredited by professional bodies such as the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Chartered Institute of Building. UCEM Diploma or degree courses include (to Nov 2014) surveying practice, building surveying, construction management, estate management, property management, quantity surveying, shopping centre management, construction and real estate. At any one time the University College of Estate Management has between 3500 to 4000 students participating from over 100 different countries.
Notable alumni include:
- Alan Collett — President of the RICS
- Albert Costain - Conservative MP Folkestone & Hythe 1959-1983
- Alison Nimmo — Chief Executive of the Crown Estate;
- Angus MacDonald - Scottish SNP MSP (since 2011)
- Dr Ann Heywood - Alumnus and former Principle of CEM to 2013 
- Baron Mais - Former Lord Mayor of London 1972-1973
- Desmond Plummer - Former English Conservative politician
- Gerald Bowden - Conservative MP Dulwich 1983-1992
- Sir John Henry Ritblat - Honorary President and formerly Chairman and CEO of The British Land Company PLC
- Paul Morrell - Government Chief Construction Adviser;
- Peter Rainbird CBE, DL, FRICS, FCIOB - Chairman of Rainbird Group and former Deputy Chairman of the CITB 
- Shyam Visavadia - youngest member on the RICS Matrics UK Board 
- William Hurst Rees - Original editor of "Valuation: Principles into Practice" (a leading handbook for students on UK valuation)
The College of Estate Management conducts independent, applied research within the industries it serves, which is available as a resource to students and alumni.
- "University College of Estate Management". thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk. 2016.
- "New premises for University College of Estate Management". University Business. 2016.
- "Private providers create 'Russell Group of the alternative sector'". Times Higher Education. 2015.
- "Healthy estate to be in: new powers for private veteran". Times Higher Education. 2012.
- "University of Reading Handbook for Council Members" (PDF). University of Reading. 2013.
- "Prince of Wales patronage for the College of Estate Management". Princeofwales.gov.uk. 2016.
- "QAA on The College of Estate Management". www.qaa.ac.uk. 2015.
- "The College of Estate Management Granted University College Status". www.cem.ac.uk. 2015.
- "RICS on The College of Estate Management". www.ricscourses.org.
- "The College of Estate Management — What Qualifications Can I get?". thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk. 2014.
- "The College of Estate Management". thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk. 2013.
- "Alan Collett Profile". RICS. 2012.
- "Captain Nimmo: Crown Estate's CEO — first interview". www.propertyweek.com. 2012.
- "Distance learning is a way of reaching a mass audience". www.building4change.com. 2010.
- "Peter Rainbird CBE". Anglia Ruskin University. 2016.
- "My surveying story: Shyam Visavadia". RICS. 2016.
- "RICS Courses". RICS. 2013.