College of Military Engineering, Pune
|School of Military Engineering (SME)|
|Indian Army Corps of Engineers|
|Location||Dapodi, Pune 
|Affiliations||Institution of Engineers
Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
College of Military Engineering (CME) is a premier technical and tactical training institution of the Indian Army Corps of Engineers of the Indian Army, this includes Combat Engineers, Military Engineering Service, Border Roads Organisation and Survey.
The college it is situated at Dapodi on NH 4, adjacent to the Khadki cantonment, a large army base in Pune district, north of the Pune city. Established in 1943, as the 'School of Military Engineering' (SME) at Roorkee, apart from imparting training to Indian army officers and those from friendly countries, the college also plays an advisery role to the Indian Army, and is involved in research projects and experimentation.
Prior its establishment, the officers of Corps of Engineers were trained at the Royal School of Military Engineering, United Kingdom along with the Corps of Royal Engineers. Between 1934 to 1943 they received training at Thompson College of Engineering, Roorkee, now IIT Roorkee.
During the World War II, the dedicated school to impart combat engineering training to officers was set up at Roorkee, the School of Military Engineering (SME) in 1943, though it continued to depend on Thomason College for technical training, subsequently post-independence in 1948, SME moved to Dapodi in Pune, its present location. In November 1951, the SME was upgraded to the status of a college, with it degree engineering courses recognised by the Institution of Engineers.
Work on permanent construction began in 1948 and most of the accommodation was completed by 1958. The second phase of expansion took place after 1963 necessitated by the expansion of the Indian Army.
- Faculty of Civil Engineering,
- Faculty of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma wing (Courses for subordinates)
CME offers training for personnel, both Officers and Personnel Below Officers Rank (PBOR) of the Corps of Engineers, other arms & services, Navy, Air Force, Para-Military forces, Police and also civilians. Its students also include soldiers from friendly foreign countries like the Maldives, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal. The college is affiliated to Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) for its B Tech and M Tech degrees. And its graduate and post graduate courses are recognised by The 'All India Council for Technical Education' (AICTE) and University of Pune.
- Courses for Engineering Officers for 3 years duration;
- For Corps of EME Officers first 3 semesters of B Tech degree for 1½ years;
- B Tech in Mechanical Engineering
- For Corps of Signal Officers first 3 semesters of B Tech degree for 1½ years;
- B Tech in Communication Engineering
- Two years Diploma courses for subordinate staff in Electrical, Civil and Draughtsperson category.
2 months adp (f)
Today, the campus situated on the banks of Mula river, is spread over 3,600 acres (15 km2) and with a population of 11,000, and evolved into a small township. Access is available only to military personnel and civilians working or living inside CME. A gate pass (identification) is required to enter the CME premises.
Notable places in CME
- The CME lake - A lakeside, also includes a restricted fishing area
- Sarvatra Bir - A bird sanctuary by the CME lake
- Harkirat Singh Theatre - An open-air theatre which screens Hollywood and Bollywood movies
- CME shopping complex - A shopping complex for CME residents. Almost all facilities exist inside the campus
- CME Information Technology Wing - IT learning and development centre
- IT courses held for Army Engineering Groups. Latest software are being developed here
- Saravatra Hall - A concert hall where important events are staged, including school events
- Officers Institute - An institute for all to Officers. It has a bar, a restaurant and a dance floor
- HQ Mess Corps of Engineers
- Corps Equipment Museum
- Corps of Engineers Archives
- CME Cyber Cafe - A cyber cafe providing internet facilities, mainly to the YOs (Young Officers), children and teenagers
- CTW (Cadets Training Wing) - An institute that provides proper army training to new cadets
Schools in CME
- Kendriya Vidyalaya (KV CME) - CBSE education school.
- Holloway School - Raised where the former KV was, a school offering Maharashtra State Board education.
- Regimental School - Another school offering Maharashtra State Board education.
- "HQ CME". wikimapia.
- "CME marks 50 eventful years". The Indian Express. September 15, 1998.
- Kulkarni, Prasad (3 May 2009). "CME conducts grand passing out parade". The Times of India.
- "Foreign officers from National Defence College visit CME". The Indian Express. Jul 18, 2009.
- "Faculties and Wings". Indian Army.
- "Pune Notes: Graduation ceremony". The Indian Express. October 24, 1998.
- "CME awards diplomas". The Indian Express. Apr 25, 2009.
- "RECOGNISED INSTITUTIONS (RI): PUNE DISTRICT (PN)". University of Pune.
- Free Dictionary (2008-02-11). "CME, Pune". Retrieved 2008-02-11.