Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Eran Creevy|
|Story by||F. Scott Frazier|
|Music by||Ilan Eshkeri|
|Edited by||Chris Gill|
|Distributed by||Open Road Films|
|Box office||$4.8 million|
Collide is a 2016 action film directed by Eran Creevy and written by Creevy and F. Scott Frazier. The film stars Nicholas Hoult, Felicity Jones, Marwan Kenzari, Ben Kingsley, and Anthony Hopkins. The plot follows two young Americans living in Germany who must complete a drug theft from a crime boss in order to pay for a medical operation.
Collide was first announced in May 2013 as Autobahn, with Zac Efron and Amber Heard set to star. After they both dropped out, Hoult and Jones were cast and filming began in May of the following year. Originally scheduled to be distributed by Relativity Media, the film was delayed nearly a dozen times due to the company's bankruptcy.
The film was released in the United States on February 24, 2017, by Open Road Films and received negative reviews from critics. It was also a box office bomb, grossing just $4 million against its $21.5 million budget, and set a new record for second-weekend drop in box office performance.
Casey, an American living in Cologne, Germany, works with his friend Matthias for a drug dealer, Geran, as money runners. He meets Juliette, another American, one night while she tends bar at one of Geran's hangouts. Though interested in him, Juliette turns him down when he asks her out, stating that she wants nothing to do with someone who runs in Geran's circles, but to look her up when he gets out. Inspired by the conversation, Casey quits his job with Geran, asks Juliette out, and the two quickly begin dating and move in together. All is well for the pair until Juliette suddenly has a seizure one evening and is rushed to the hospital. Told that her kidney is failing, and because she is not a citizen of Germany that she is unqualified for the transplant treatment, Casey proposes that they move back to America for her treatment. In order to obtain the money for the operation and save Juliette, Casey goes back to work for Geran in order to pull off a large drug theft from Germany's biggest drug dealer, Hagen Kahl.
- Nicholas Hoult as Casey Stein
- Felicity Jones as Juliette Marne
- Anthony Hopkins as Hagen Kahl
- Ben Kingsley as Geran
- Marwan Kenzari as Matthias
- Clemens Schick as Mirko
- Erdal Yildiz
- Michael Epp as Karl
- Aleksandar Jovanovic as Jonas
- Markus Klauk as Talaz
On May 15, 2013, Zac Efron and Amber Heard joined the cast of the film, then titled Autobahn, before later dropping out. On May 1, 2014, Nicholas Hoult, Ben Kingsley, Felicity Jones and Anthony Hopkins joined the cast. Principal photography began on May 5, 2014. On November 3, 2014, Relativity Media acquired the film.
The film was scheduled to be released on October 30, 2015, by Relativity Media. However, when Relativity filed for bankruptcy, producers had put the film back on the market. In September 2015, it was announced Open Road Films would distribute the film apart of an audit statement. In October 2015, Open Road set an April 1, 2016, release date for the film. It was then pushed back to August 19, In September 2016, it was pushed back to February 3, 2017. In January 2017, the film was pushed back to February 24, 2017.
Collide grossed $2.3 million in the United States and Canada and $2.5 million in other territories for a worldwide gross of $4.8 million.
In North America, Collide opened alongside Get Out and Rock Dog and was expected to gross $3–4 million from 2,045 theaters in its opening weekend. It ended up grossing just $1.5 million, finishing 13th at the box office and marking the 6th worst-ever debut for a film playing in over 2,000 theaters. In its second weekend the film was pulled from 1,043 theaters and grossed $194,326, dropping 87.2% and marking the biggest-ever second week decline, breaking the 86.4% set by Undiscovered in 2005.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 21% based on 38 reviews, with an average rating of 4/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Collide wastes a talented cast on a would-be thriller fatally undermined by eye-rolling dialogue, logical fallacies, and humdrum set pieces." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 33 out of 100, based on 10 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "C+" on an A+ to F scale.
- "Collide". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved February 26, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 22, 2017). "Audiences Plan To Get Into 'Get Out' – Weekend B.O. Preview". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- McClintock, Pamela; Ford, Rebecca (May 15, 2013). "Cannes: Zac Efron, Amber Heard Ride Onto 'Autobahn'". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Ford, Rebecca (January 5, 2014). "Cannes: Felicity Jones, Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley Join 'Autobahn' for IM Global, Joel Silver". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- SSN Insider Staff (May 12, 2014). "On The Set For 5/12/14: Eliza Dushku Starrer 'Eloise' Starts, Adam Carolla's 'Road Hard' Wraps". SSN Insider. TSS News. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Ge, Linda (November 3, 2014). "Nicholas Hoult-Felicity Jones Thriller 'Autobahn' Acquired by Relativity (Photo)". TheWrap. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Ge, Linda (February 4, 2015). "Nicholas Hoult and Felicity Jones' 'Autobahn' Gets Fall Release Date". TheWrap. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Jaafar, Ali (August 3, 2015). "Eran Creevy's Coveted 'Collide' Drives Out Of Relativity; New Distrib Deal Imminent". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Belloni, Matthew (September 26, 2015). "Relativity Reveals First Proposed Movie Sale in Bankruptcy: Thriller 'Collide'". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 20, 2015.
- Jaafar, Ali (October 16, 2015). "Eran Creevy's 'Collide Movie Acquired By Open Road Films". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved October 20, 2015.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 24, 2016). "'Collide' Trailer: Felicity Jones & Nicholas Hoult Rev Engines For August Bow". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (September 29, 2016). "Felicity Jones-Nicholas Hoult Vehicle 'Collide' Back On Track For Winter 2017". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- "Collide". ComingSoon.net. Mandatory. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony. "Jordan Peele's 'Get Out' Jumps To $33.4M Opening – Monday AM Box Office Update". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- "Biggest Theater Drops". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved March 1, 2017.
- "Collide (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- "Collide Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved March 4, 2017.