Collins Correctional Facility
|Location||Collins, New York, USA|
|Security class||Medium Security|
|Managed by||New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision|
Collins Correctional Facility is a medium security prison in Collins, New York in the United States. The prison is located in the south part of Erie County in the Town of Collins. It is co-located with the Gowanda Correctional Facility, another medium security prison. Both prisons are located north of Village of Gowanda at the southern end of Erie County.
In 1894, the Erie County Legislature passed an Act that gave rise to the Homeopathic State Hospital (later known as the "Gowanda Psychiatric Center," prior to being much later-converted into correctional facilities) in Gowanda and Collins, New York. Land purchased for the State Hospital by Erie County included 500 acres and was known as the "Taylor tract." When the State Care Act was effected in 1894, the land was transferred to the State of New York, which then conveyed it to the State Hospital. The correctional facility is situated along Taylor Hollow Road in Gowanda, with such road named for the farmer who owned the land that was purchased and used, originally, for the State Hospital.
The grounds and buildings of both the Gowanda Correctional Facility and the Collins Correctional Facility, therefore, were formerly the Gowanda Psychiatric Center. In 1982, 40% of the original 500 acres of the Gowanda Psychiatric Center was utilized for the Collins Correctional Facility. The Gowanda Correctional Facility was built using the remaining acreage and opened its doors in 1994. The two prisons are separated by a fence, and are administered independently. Collins Correctional Facility houses 1,700 inmates.
The prison also contains a security housing unit, also known as a SHU, for inmates who assault staff or other inmates and for those who disobey the prison rules.
- Hosting innovative programming: Gowanda, Webcitation.org from the original at Geocities.com, November 1999, Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- Gowanda Correctional Facility, PrisonTalk.com, 9 October 2004, Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- Facility listing, New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision, Albany, NY: New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision, 2014, Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- Historical sketch of the Village of Gowanda, N.Y. in commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of its incorporation, August 8, 1898, Buffalo, NY: The Matthews-Northrup Company, Leonard, I.R., Reprinted 1998, Salem, MA: Higginson Book Company
- Additional information
- Gowanda and Collins Correctional Facility histories
- New York State prison information