In 1947, during a United Nations General Assembly session, General Assembly Resolution 181 recommended the partition of British Mandate Palestine into one Jewish and one Arab state. Colombia abstained.
In the mid-1950s both countries officially established diplomatic relations and set up embassies in Bogotá and Tel Aviv respectively. Relations improved tremendously in 1988 when major trade agreements[which?] were signed between Israel and Colombia. A Free Trade agreement was signed on 10 June 2013. However, it has not yet been ratified by Colombia and therefore is not yet in force. This agreement reduces tariffs on industrial and agricultural products between the two countries, and enable Israeli companies and individuals to invest with greater ease in the Colombia economy, considered one of the strongest in South America. Israeli exports to Colombia totaled some $143 million USD in 2012, and consisted mostly of communications equipment, machinery, electrical and mechanical devices and chemical products.
Colombia also supports the aspiration of the Palestinian people to establish themselves as a free and independent state in the region. Additionally, Israel is Colombia's main partner in the region and is Colombia's second largest trading partner in South America after Brazil. Bilateral relations have deepened through high-level visits in recent history.
Colombia has purchased planes, drones, weapons and intelligence systems from Israel. Colombia's deepening ties with Israel are seen by some as a method to counteract growing Iranian influence in Latin America, particularly Tehran's partnership with Venezuela.
Resident diplomatic missions
- facts of Israel: United Nations, 1947, Resolution 181 approves the creation of Israel, the Jewish State
- (in Spanish) Israeli embassy in Colombia: Israel and Colombia
- http://www.economy.gov.il/InternationalAffairs/TradePolicyAndAgreements/BilateralAgreementsDivision/Pages/Colombia.aspx/. Missing or empty
- http://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-columbia-sign-free-trade-agreement/. Missing or empty
- http://israel.embajada.gov.co/en/about/embassy. Retrieved 31 March 2014. Missing or empty
- Netanyahu arrives in Colombia, looks to help post-conflict efforts
- Colombia hostage rescue: the Israeli angle - Haaretz - Israel News
- Israel, Colombia Offsetting Iranian Influence WND
- Embassy of Colombia in Israel
- Embassy of Israel in Colombia
|This article about foreign relations is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about politics in Colombia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Israel-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|