A Colombian necktie (Spanish: corbata colombiana or corte corbata) is a form of post-mortem mutilation consisting of a deep incision under the victim's chin, through which the tongue is pulled out and left hanging down in grisly semblance to a necktie. A male victim's genitals are sometimes also severed and put in the mouth. It originated in Colombia during the period of political violence known as La Violencia, as a method of psychological warfare, meant to scare and intimidate.
O. J. Simpson murder case
During the trial of O. J. Simpson in 1994, an alternate murderer theory claimed hitmen murdered Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman. The theory supposes that the hitmen were hired by drug dealers to whom Faye Resnick owed money.
Evidence was presented that a Colombian necklace, a variation where the executed are killed by a horizontal slash at the throat and the tongue is not drawn through the wound, is often employed by Colombian drug dealers. Judge Ito did not admit this evidence.
In popular culture
Legendary Los Angeles DIY metallic hardcore band Colombian Necktie band got their name from Big Black's song "Colombian Necktie".
On Season 1, Episode 11 "Rôti" of Hannibal, the method is used by Dr. Gideon on Dr. Curruthers, saying "they call it the Colombian Necktie".
On Season 3, Episode 2 of Modern Family, Glória threatens the principal of Manny's School over the phone.
In the premiere season of the television series The Bridge, on an episode entitled "ID", the serial killer executes a Colombian necktie on a victim. Sonya speculates the reason for doing this was to have the victim "killed like a 'narco'" for selling prescriptions for oxycontin.
On Season 1, Episode 2 'Cat's in the Bag...' of Breaking Bad, the method is mentioned by Jesse Pinkman.
Thrash metal band Megadeth mentions it in their song "Sleepwalker" saying "I think you'd look nice in a Colombian necktie."
The Rap/Rock band Hollywood Undead mention it in their song "Dead Bite" saying "You've got a first class ticket to Colombian neckties".
Australian metalcore band I Killed the Prom Queen's album Music for the Recently Deceased contains a song titled "Your Shirt Would Look Better With A Colombian Necktie" Written after a show w/ Colombian Necktie from Los Angeles.
- Fichtl, Eric (August 2005). "Contested Country: An Examination of Current Propaganda Techniques in the Colombian Civil War". Colombia Journal. Archived from the original on 2008-03-12. Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- Bowden, Mark (2001). "Chapter 1". Killing Pablo. Atlantic Monthly Press. ISBN 0-87113-783-6. Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- "Testimony On Resnick Drugs Barred". Chicago Tribune. July 13, 1995.
- Robin Clark, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER (March 9, 1995). "Simpson Defense Presses Drug Link A Detective Faced A Barrage Of Questions. The Judge Ruled The Defense Can See Some Fuhrman Files". Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Wigler, Josh. "Better Call Saul recap: Mr. McGill meets his new ‘Mijo’". digitaltrends.com. Digital Trends. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Grinnage, Jamal. "4 Alarm Blaze". Album: First Family 4 Life.
- The dictionary definition of colombian necktie at Wiktionary