The front cover of a contemporary Colombian biometric passport.
|Date first issued||September 2015 (biometric passport booklet)|
|Type of document||Passport|
|Eligibility requirements||Colombian citizenship|
The Colombian passport is a travel document which is issued to citizens of Colombia for the purpose of international travel. Since September 2015 a Biometric passport has been introduced. The previous machine-readable version can be used as long as it is valid.
Citizens of Colombia do not need a passport when traveling to Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela. For these countries, they may use just their domestic identification cards called Cédula de Ciudadanía.
Several drivers resulted in the issuing of the document:
- The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) issued Resolution No. A36-15 in which it urged its 190 member countries to issue readable passports from 2010. The intent of this resolution was to ensure security and integrity of travel documents worldwide.
- Increased safety: The new book has special design features, and print materials that correspond to three levels of security.
- Allowing quick migration processes: the machine-readable zone facilitates the process of recognition and registration of the passenger when entering or leaving a country, because a machine automatically interprets the information encoded in their passport, which reduces approximately 50% on-call time by immigration agents.
In 2017, Colombian citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 107 countries and territories, ranking the Colombian passport 50th in the world according to the Visa Restrictions Index.
- Machine-Readable Passport, Conozca el Pasaporte de Lectura Mecanica
- Colombia.com, Guia para los colombianos en el exterior
- , previous Colombian Passport
- , current Colombian Passport
- "Acuerdo sobre Documentos de Viaje de los Estados Partes del MERCOSUR y Estados Asociados" (PDF) (in Spanish). mercosur.int. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "En 2014 se aprobó el "Segundo Acuerdo Modificatorio del Anexo del Acuerdo sobre Documentos de Viaje de los Estados Partes del MERCOSUR y Estados Asociados"." (PDF) (in Spanish). mercosur.int. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
|This Colombia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|