Colonel Brown Cambridge School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Colonel Brown's Cambridge School,
|Motto||Magna est Veritas
(Truth is Great)
|Founder||Col. William Brown|
|Headmaster||S. K. Tyagi|
|Medium of language||English|
|Houses||Principal, Bursar & Headmaster|
|Color(s)||Green, yellow and red
Eat Well, Sleep Well, Work Hard, Play Hard andAbove All, Be a Gentleman!
|Nickname||CBS / CBCS / Brownians|
|Affiliation||University Of Dehdradun|
The campus is in the town of Dehradun on the foothills of Mussoorie - Queen of Hills in India, with 500 students and nine hostel buildings.
The school is secular and admits boys from all parts of the world representing all religions, castes and creeds. It provides no religious instruction, but secular prayers and congregational singing of secular and patriotic hymns are a part of the daily morning assembly.
Colonel Brown Cambridge School was founded on 17 March 1926, by Col. and Mrs. William Brown. It was the 1st all boys residential school in Dehradun.
The motto of the school is Magna Est Veritas. Translated from Latin it means "Truth Is Great". The crest of the school has the initials of the school on the right hand corner with a lion for courage, a shamrock (the national symbol for Ireland), and a torch representing the torch of learning.
The Academic session is in two sessions - 15 July to 15 November (first term) and 15 January to 15 May (second term).
The school holds a very rigid policy as far as admission tests to the entrance classes are concerned. A child is admitted to the school purely on the basis of merit and recommendations of any kind debars him from admission to the school.
The school is run by the "N.S. Educational Society" registered under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 and is recognized for the purpose of sending up students for the I.C.S.E..
Founder's Day is celebrated each year on 17 March. There is a P.T. competition held on this day. The school celebrates Annual Day in the month of November. Arts & Crafts exhibition, march-past,P.T, yoga, Drama etc. are shown on this day.
The students studying at CBS are also called Brownians and the ex students are called ex-Brownians or simply Old Boys. Colonel Brown Cambridge School has produced many prominent and notable persons which include the following:
- Vishwanath Pratap Singh – Prime Minister Of India
- Hanut Singh Rathore - Lt. General of the Indian Army
- Madan Mohan – Music Director
- Md Shamsul Hasan Khan – Member Of Parliament
- Raj Kapoor - Actor, film producer and director
- Vijai Singh Shekhawat - Chief of Naval Staff of the Indian Navy
- Phadnis, Aditi (24 January 2014). "Vishwanath Pratap Singh: The original Aam Aadmi hero". Beyond Business. Business Standard. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Maj Gen Raj Mehta. "A VISIONARY CAVALIER : Lt Gen Hanut Singh, PVSM, MVC". South Asia Defence & Strategic Review. Aakash Media. Archived from the original on 7 April 2014. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Nerurkar, Vishwas. "His Journey". Madan Mohan: The Musical Legend. madanmohan.in. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "6th Lok Sabha Members Bioprofile". http://loksabha.nic.in/. Lok Sabha. Archived from the original on 31 March 2014. Retrieved 31 March 2014. External link in
- Jain, Madhu (2005). The Kapoors: The First Family of Indian Cinema. Viking (India). ISBN 978-0670058372.
- Abidi, S. Sartaj Alam; Sharma, Satinder (2007). Services Chiefs of India. Northern Book Centre. p. 127. ISBN 9788172111625. Retrieved 14 June 2017.