Colonel Zadok A. Magruder High School
|Col. Zadok A. Magruder High School|
|5939 Muncaster Mill Road
|Motto||Connect. Achieve. Excel.|
|School district||Montgomery County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Blue and Grey|
|National ranking||352 ('Newsweek magazine)|
|Newspaper||The Magruder Messenger|
|Rival||Sherwood High School|
Magruder is named for Colonel Zadok Magruder, a Revolutionary War patriot and farmer. He was colonel in command of part of the Maryland militia and helped establish Montgomery County's government in 1776. The school is called simply "Magruder" by its students.
The school first opened in 1970 at 149,533 sq ft (13,892 m2), with 8th, 9th and 10th graders. In 1971, the same student body became 9th, 10th and 11th graders. The first graduating class was the Class of 1973 and numbered approximately 300.
Major additions were added in 1974 (69,000 sq ft (6,400 m2)), 1994 (47,151 sq ft (4,380 m2)), and 2000 (31,178 sq ft (2,897 m2) of additions, 10,519 sq ft (977 m2) of renovation of the 1994 addition, and demolition of 1,384 sq ft (129 m2) of the 1994 addition). The building now totals 295,478 sq ft (27,451 m2).
Magruder has an International Studies Partnership with Hage Geingob High School in Windhoek, Namibia.
Students who opt for one of these programs will focus on that field and be better prepared for a career in that area.
Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps
In 2009, the Magruder JROTC program was awarded the title "Honor Unit with Distinction", the highest honor a JROTC unit can earn.
George B. Thomas, Sr. Learning Academy Saturday School
The GBTLA Saturday School started at Magruder in the 2005-2006 school year. The goal of the program is for the students to attain grade level proficiency in reading, language arts, mathematics, and test-taking skills.
In the 2008-2009 school year, the 1,971 students at Magruder were 43.4% Non-Hispanic white, 19.4% African American, 23.0% Hispanic, 14.0% Asian, and 0.3% Native American.
In 2010, Magruder was listed in Newsweek magazine as the 481st highest-rated Ãschool in the country.
The 2010 graduation rate at Magruder High School was 90.5%.
Magruder features, alongside the National Honors Society, societies in:
As well as the engineering academy "Project Lead the Way".
Magruder offers a wide range of courses from regular to honors to AP classes. The percentage of students receiving a 3 or higher on the AP College Board exams is high and is above average compared to the rest of the state and the nation. SAT scores among students are also above average.
In the 2010 graduating class, 80.1% of students expected to go to college or training, 14.5% to college and employment, 1.6% directly to employment, and 2.2% to the military. Graduating classes from Magruder High School accumulate over $5 million in scholarships each year.
- 2001 Maryland 4A Basketball State Champions
- 2006 Men's Varsity Soccer Team finished regular season undefeated
- 2007 Maryland 4A Men's Basketball Regional Champions and State Finalists
- 2007 Maryland 4A Men's Soccer Regional and State Champions going undefeated at 19-0 and was ranked in the Top 10 in the nation.
- 2008 Women's Metros Diving Champion Brittany Powell
- 2009 Women's Metros Diving Champion Brittany Powell
- 2010 Maryland 4A West Field Hockey Regional Champions
- 2010 Maryland 4A Boys' Soccer State Champions
- 2004 4A State Finalists (22-3 Record), ranked #4 by the Washington Post.
- 2009 4A State Finalists (24-1 Record), ranked #7 by the Washington Post, #1 by the Gazette.
- 2008 4A State Semifinalists (22-2 Record), ranked #5 by the Washington Post, #2 by the Gazette.
- 2010 4A State Champions, Ranked 7th in the DC Metro Area.
- In 2007, the Boys' Soccer Team went undefeated at 19-0 and won the 4A West Region Championship as well as the Maryland Class 4A State Title. It was in the same season that Magruder was ranked 7th nationally, and 1st in the DC Metro Area.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Anto Garabet, YouTube Entertainer
- Chris Carmack, Actor
- Jason Kravits, Actor
- Courtney Kupets, Olympic gymnast
- Mike Sorce, also known as Don Geronimo, radio personality
- John Stabb, singer
- Freda Wright-Sorce, radio personality (deceased)
- Milt Thompson (baseball player), Major League Baseball Player, coach
- Jerome Williams, former NBA basketball player
- Dan Hellie, NFL Network personality
- Sam Kouvaris, TV Personality
- Pele Paelay, professional basketball player
- Helen Maroulis, Olympic gold medalist wrestler
- "School Overview - Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD". Montgomeryschoolsmd.org. 2012-01-01. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Magruder HS - Academies". Montgomeryschoolsmd.org. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- PDF of Magruder student and teacher statistics from 2008-2009
- "MCPS Public Announcements". Montgomeryschoolsmd.org. 2008-12-08. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Magruder's father-son basketball tandem nearing the end of an era". Gazette.net. 2010-02-23. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Magruder's boys' soccer legacy is completed". Gazette.net. 2007-11-21. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "A civil war: It's Sherwood vs. Magruder for state basketball title". Gazette.net. 2007-03-09. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- John Wehmueller (2007-11-21). "Boys' soccer: MoCo is still the king of the state". Gazette.net. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Colonels' state title is a perfect tribute". Gazette.net. 2007-11-21. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- John Wehmueller (2007-11-21). "Soccer: Long live the kings". Gazette.net. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Faerber, Powell headline all-star diving meet". Gazette.net. 2008-07-30. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "All-Gazette swimming and diving: Girls". Gazette.net. 2009-03-10. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "2 teams, 1 final step". Gazette.net. 2010-11-08. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "The story is unavailable at this time.". Gazette.net. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Family reunion". Gazette.net. 2010-11-19. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Tenorio, Paul (2010-11-19). "Charles Chapin sparks Magruder's soccer team to Maryland 4A state title with win over Urbana, 2-0". Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Magruder gets by Bowie". Gazette.net. 2004-11-17. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Puzio, Jen (2009-11-19). "Fowle, Magruder Roll Through Bowie 3-0". Gamedaymagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Colonels' run ends in volleyball final". Gazette.net. 2009-11-22. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Third time's a charm for Magruder volleyball". Gazette.net. 2008-11-08. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Thomas Johnson pops Colonels". Gazette.net. 2008-11-14. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Good Counsel Ranked No. 1 in Volleyball". The Washington Post. 2008-10-23.
- "Boys' Soccer". The Washington Post.
- "John Stabb, punk rock headliner of D.C. music scene, dies at 54". The Washington Post. 2016-05-09. Retrieved 2016-05-11.