Colonial Police Long Service Medal
|Colonial Police Long Service Medal|
Ribbon of the medal
|Awarded by the United Kingdom|
|Type||Long service medal|
|Eligibility||Full-time members of the police forces of the colonies, dominions, and overseas territories.|
|Awarded for||18 years efficient service|
|Established||23 March 1934|
|Order of Wear|
|Next (higher)||Sierra Leone Police Long Service Medal|
|Next (lower)||Sierra Leone Fire Brigades Long Service Medal|
|Related||Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal|
The Colonial Police Long Service Medal, now known as the Overseas Territories Police Long Service Medal, was established in 1934 to recognize long service in the police forces of the colonies, dominions, and overseas territories of the British Empire.
The medal was originally established on 23 March 1934 as the Colonial Police and Fire Brigade Long Service medal. The medal is awarded for 18 years of meritorious and efficient service. A new Royal Warrant issued on 21 March 1956, separated the medal out under their own warrants. The name of the medal was changed in 2012 to the Overseas Territories Police Long Service Medal.
The medal is circular and silver, 36 milimetres in diameter. The obverse depicts the effigy of the reigning sovereign surrounded by the royal titles. The reverse bears the depiction of a police officer's truncheon superimposed on a laurel wreath. Circumscribed around the central design are the words FOR LONG SERVICE AND GOOD CONDUCT COLONIAL POLICE FORCES.
The medal hangs from a ring with claw suspension. The ribbon of the medal is dark blue with a central stripe of green. The centre stripe is bordered by thin stripes of white. Clasps are awarded for completing 25 and 30 years respectively. In undress, when only ribbons are worn, these clasps are represented by silver rosettes attached to the ribbon.
- Cypress Gazette (3), 1958, p. 351, retrieved 10 July 2013
- "No. 56878". The London Gazette (Supplement). 17 March 2003. p. 3352.
- Kenya Gazette, 37 (62), 10 December 1935, p. 1299, retrieved 10 July 2013
- "No. 45518". The London Gazette. 11 November 1971. p. 12242.
- "No. 60172". The London Gazette. 14 June 2012. p. 11416.
- Mackay, James, Editor; Mussell, John W. (2004). The Medal Yearbook 2004. Devon, UK: Token Publishing Ltd. p. 236. ISBN 9781870192620.
- Medal pair with the Africa General Service Medal and Colonial Police Long Service Medal, Imperial War Museum.