(W. Peters, 1876)
Coloptychon rhombifer, also known as the isthmian alligator lizard, is a species of lizard of the Anguidae family. C. rhombifer is found in both Costa Rica and Panama. Unlike many lizards near its habitat, individuals have lateral folds. They give birth to live young. Examples of the species had not been seen during the latter half of the 20th century.
C. rhombifer is a broad-headed, long-bodied lizard, which is similar to Diploglossus monotropis. An adult measures from 35–50 centimetres (14–20 in) in total length, with the tail making up approximately two-thirds of the total length. The upper surface of the body is tan in color with black-edged brown crossbands, and does not have either orange or red markings. C. rhombifer is short-limbed, and has movable eyelids. A well-defined lateral fold, covering small scales, separates the ridges and rows of scales on the belly. The only other species of lizards in Costa Rica that also have lateral folds are of the genus Mesapis.
Habitat & Geographic range
- "Coloptychon rhombifer ". Reptile Database. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- Savage, Jay M. (2002). The Amphibians and Reptiles of Costa Rica: A Herpetofauna between Two Continents, between Two Seas. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. pp. 532–533 of 954. ISBN 978-0-226-73538-2.
- Munoz Chacon, Federico. "Coloptychon rhombifer (Peters 1876)" (in Spanish). darnis.inbio.ac.cr. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "Viviparous". BBC Nature. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "The Rain Forest Conservation Fund". Fundacion UdG / ProSur. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "Une espèce redécouverte - Le lézard Coloptychon rhombifer". MSN News (in French). 27 October 2009. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- Boulenger GA. 1885. Catalogue of the Lizards in the British Museum (Natural History). Second Edition. Volume II. ... Anguidæ ... London: Trustees of the British Museum (Natural History). (Taylor and Francis, printers). xiii + 497 pp. + Plates I-XXIV. (Gerrhonotus rhombifer, pp. 276–277).
- Peters W. 1876. "Neue Arten der Sauriergattung Gerrhonotus [New species of the lizard genus Gerrhonotus]". Monatsberichte der königlichen preussischen Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin 1876: 297-300. (Gerrhonotus rhombifer, new species, pp. 298–300). (in German).
- Tihen JA. 1949. "The genera of gerrhonotine lizards". American Midland Naturalist 41: 579-601. (Coloptychon rhombifer, new combination, p. 584).