Barclaycard Arena (Hamburg)
Aerial view in September 2010.
|Former names||Color Line Arena (2002 - 2010)
O2 World Hamburg (2010 - 2015)
22525 Hamburg, Germany
|Owner||Anschutz Entertainment Group|
12,947 (ice hockey)
|Broke ground||June 13, 2001|
|Opened||November 8, 2002|
|Construction cost||€ 83 million|
|Hamburg Freezers (DEL) (2002-present)
HSV Hamburg (HBL) (2002-present)
Barclaycard Arena is a multi-purpose arena in Hamburg, Germany. It opened in 2002 and can hold up to 16,000 people. It is located at Altona Volkspark, adjacent to the football stadium Volksparkstadion and the new Volksbank Arena in Hamburg's western Bahrenfeld district. Due to sponsorship reasons the arena has previously been named the Color Line Arena and O2 World Hamburg
The Barclaycard Arena is primarily used for handball and ice hockey, and is the home of HSV Hamburg and the Hamburg Freezers. The maximum capacity of the Hall is 16,000 visitors at sporting events by eliminating the Interior places 12.947. It is among the most modern arenas in Europe.
The arena opened in November 2002, is 150 meters long and 110 metres wide and has an elevation of 33 metres. Construction costs totaled approximately 83 million Euro (ca. US$121.5mn). The construction of the stadium was funded by the Finnish entrepreneur Harry Harkimo and the city of Hamburg, who sold Harkimo the land for a symbolic price of one Mark and also financed infrastructure improvements with 12 million Marks (about 6.1 million euros) as a preparatory measure. In October 2007 the arena was sold to Anschutz Entertainment Group for an estimated 75 million Euros.
- In November 2005, World Wrestling Entertainment hosted an event as part of the Survivor Series Tour.
- In 2007, it hosted several matches during the 2007 World Men's Handball Championship.
- German techno band Scooter recorded their album, Live in Hamburg, on March 12, 2010.
- Sting performed during his Symphonicities Tour on October 19, 2010, along with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Muse performed during their The Resistance Tour on October 28, 2009 and during their The 2nd Law World Tour on December 15, 2012. They will return to Hamburg on June 6, 2016 during their Drones World Tour.
- Lady Gaga performed here for her ArtRave: The Artpop Ball on October 3, 2014.
- Boxer Wladimir Klitschko fought Kubrat Pulev on November 15, 2014 for the World Championship.
- In March 12, Katy Perry performed here with her The Prismatic World Tour
- Janet Jackson will perform on April 13, 2016 as part of her Unbreakable World Tour.
The arena was initially named after Norwegian ferry operator Color Line as the Color Line Arena. In 2010 the sponsor changed to Spanish telecommunications company Telefónica, naming the arena as O2 World Hamburg. O2 sponsorship ceased in 2015, changing the arena name yet again, this time into Barclaycard Arena.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to O2 World (Hamburg).|
|This article about a German sports venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a European ice hockey arena is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Hamburg building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|