Color rendering capacity
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Color rendering capacity is a measure of how well colors are represented under artificial light. It is one of several measures of color rendering index, indicating the extent to which a wide range of colors may be distinguished under a given light source.
Associated with each type of spectral power distribution, one and only one color solid can be constructed in a uniform color space. It has been proved that this color solid comprises all the object colors producible under illumination of that spectral power distribution with one unit luminous flux, and the volume of the color solid determines the upper limit for the number of the object colors producible under the given spectral power distribution with one unit luminous flux. This volume of the color solid associated with the spectral power distribution is called the color rendering capacity. It may be expressed as a proportion of the volume of the color solid associated with the equal energy spectrum, and is output in this form from computer software known as "CRC99".
The color rendering capacity is 0.35 for high-pressure sodium lamps, 0.97 for "Deluxe" fluorescent lamps, and 1.00 for equal energy spectrum respectively. These results conform with everyday experience: high pressure sodium lamps are rarely used in stores for commodity lighting, as the commodities would appear in monotonous yellow shades while the same commodities under deluxe fluorescent, at the same light level, display a much wider variety of colors. The color solid and the color rendering capacity calculated for the spectrum of the Deluxe fluorescent lamp F7 is shown on the right.
- Commission International de l'Eclairage 1995.
- MacAdam 1981, p.103.
- MacAdam 1981, p. 157.
- MacAdam 1981, p. 106.
- Xu 2010, p. 29.
- Xu 2010, p. 37.
- MacAdam,DL (1981). Color Measurement, Springer-Verlag. ISBN 0-387-10773-8
- Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage (1995). Method of Measuring and Specifying Colour Rendering Properties of Light Sources, CIE.
- Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage (2004). Colorimetry, CIE.
- Xu, H (2008). "Correspondence: Colour rendering capacity", Lighting Research and Technology, 257(40).
- Xu, H (2010). Color Rendering Capacity of Light, Lulu Enterprises. ISBN 978-0-557-29359-9