Colorado City, Texas
|Colorado City, Texas|
|Motto: "Oui, Nous Sommes Heureux"|
Location of Colorado City, Texas
|• Mayor||Jim Baum|
|• Total||5.3 sq mi (13.7 km2)|
|• Land||5.3 sq mi (13.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||2,067 ft (630 m)|
|• Density||809.2/sq mi (312.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1333141|
Colorado City is situated along the Colorado River to the west and Lone Wolf Creek to the east.
As of the census of 2000, 4,281 people, 1,646 households, and 1,124 families resided in the city. The population density was 809.2 people per square mile (312.5/km²). There were 2,076 housing units at an average density of 392.4 per square mile (151.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 76.71% White, 5.09% African American, 0.54% Native American, 0.44% Asian, 14.62% from other races, and 2.59% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latino of any race were 36.25% of the population.
Of the 1,646 households, 34.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.7% were married couples living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.7% were not families. About 29.6% of all households were made up of individuals, and 16.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the city, the population was distributed as 28.5% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 24.0% from 25 to 44, 20.6% from 45 to 64, and 18.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 90.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,842, and for a family was $27,363. Males had a median income of $22,272 versus $20,037 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,591. About 18.7% of families and 20.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.2% of those under age 18 and 23.9% of those age 65 or over.
Colorado City is served by the Colorado Independent School District.
Former U.S. Representative George Mahon of Lubbock was raised in Mitchell County and is honored with a statue in front of the courthouse. The Texas radio pioneer Clint Formby and his wife Margaret Clark Formby, founder of the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame in Fort Worth, lived for a time early in their marriage in Colorado City and actually rented their residence from the Mahons.
Numerous professional rodeo competitors including Clint Singleton, Joseph Gernentz, Matthew Neff, Hayden Redwine, Justin Northcutt, Bradley Bynum, Terra Bynum and Rickey Courtney, Brent Terry
Mitchell County Courthouse in Colorado City
First United Methodist Church in Colorado City
First Baptist Church in Colorado City is located adjacent to the United Methodist Church.
Colorado, Texas was the name of the post office in Colorado City from 1881 until 1939.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Colorado City, Texas
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Clint Formby obituary". Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Colorado City, Texas.|
- Colorado City - Official Website
- "Colorado. A town and the county-seat of Mitchell County, Tex". New International Encyclopedia. 1905.