Colorado Springs Guidelines
The Colorado Springs Guidelines address gender issues in Bible translation, in response to "gender-neutral" Bible translations.
According to two participants at the Colorado Springs meeting, the final list of guidelines was compiled by reference to two separate lists drafted by each of the two ostensibly opposing parties who had agreed to the meeting to discuss their differences. One list was supplied by concerned scholars and pastors, the other by Ken Barker on behalf of translators and publishers.
The guidelines have found wide support amongst opponents of gender neutral translations, but have been criticised by supporters of gender neutral translations.[original research?]
- Danvers Statement
- Journal for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
- Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
- Today's New International Version (TNIV)
Notes and references
- Poythress and Grudem, The Gender Neutral Bible Controversy (GNBC), (Broadman & Holman, 2000): 306.
||This section may stray from the topic of the article into the topic of another article, Gender in Bible translation. (December 2011)|
- Carson, Don Arthur. The Inclusive-Language Debate: A Plea for Realism. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Book House, 1998.
- Grudem, Wayne A. "A Response to Mark Strauss' Evaluation of the Colorado Springs Translation Guidelines". Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 41 (1998): 263–286.
- Grudem, Wayne and Vern Poythress. The TNIV and the Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy. Nashville, Tennessee: Broadman and Holman Publishers, 2005.
- Hutchens, S. M. (for the editors). "Unmanning the Bible". Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity June, 2002.
- Kohlenberger, John R. III. "What About the 'Gender Accurate' TNIV?" Priscilla Papers 16 (2002): 3–9.
- Nussbaum, Emily. "The His-and-Hers Bible". The New York Times 10 February 2002.
- Padgett, Alan G. (for the editors). "Heretical Bibles". Touchstone April, 2002.
- Poythress, Vern Sheridan. "Is the TNIV Faithful in its Treatment of Gender? No." Christianity Today 7 October 2002.
- Poythress, Vern and Wayne Grudem. The Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy: Muting the Masculinity of God's Words. Nashville, Tennessee: Broadman and Holman Publishers, 2000.
- Ryken, Leland. The Word of God in English: Criteria for Excellence in Bible Translation. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Crossway Books, 2002. ISBN 1-58134-464-3
- Strauss, Mark L. "Current Issues in the Gender-Language Debate: A Response to Vern Poythress and Wayne Grudem". In Glenn G. Scorgie and others (eds). The challenge of Bible translation: Communicating God's Word. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2003.
- Strauss, Mark L. Distorting Scripture?: The Challenge of Bible Translation & Gender Accuracy. InterVarsity Press, 1998.
- Colorado Springs Guidelines — copy at Bible-Researcher.com, edited by Michael D. Marlowe.