Colored People (song)
|Single by DC Talk|
|from the album Jesus Freak|
|Released||December 22, 1996|
|Genre||Pop rock, CCM|
|Length||4:26 (Album Version)|
|Writer(s)||Toby McKeehan, George Cocchini|
|Producer(s)||Mark Heimermann, Toby McKeehan, John Mark Painter|
|DC Talk singles chronology|
Music and lyrics
"Colored People" is a pop rock song primarily based on acoustic guitars, a background electric guitar, and occasional strings. The verses are sung by Kevin Max, while the chorus vocals are shared by all three members with Michael Tait leading. Lyrically, the song is about appreciation of racial variety, promoting unity and a "kaleidoscopic take on race relations".
Release and acclaim
The song was released as a single in 1996 and received positive comments from music critics. Entertainment Weekly editor Laura Jamison said that the album Jesus Freak "combines textured vocals, aggressive guitar, and solid songwriting, especially on 'Colored People'."
Various versions of "Colored People" have appeared on several DC Talk official releases, including the band's greatest hits album Intermission. A live version of "Colored People" was included on the 1997 live release Welcome to the Freak Show. "Colored People" also appears on the compilation album WOW 1998.
- "Colored People" (Radio Edit)
- "Colored People" (Album Version)
- Call Out Research Hook
- Eisele, Robert (May 1, 1996). "More than just talk: DC Talk supplies eclectic sounds to receptive fans at Kemper". The Kansas City Star (NewsBank). Retrieved 2009-08-06.
- Jamison, Laura (December 22, 1995). "Jesus Freak Music Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2009-08-06.
- "Jars and Butteflies: The Joys of Mainstreaming". Billboard. 1998-04-25. pp. 38–40. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- Steven Losey. "((( Intermission: The Greatest Hits > Overview )))". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- Rodney Batdorf. "((( Welcome to the Freak Show > Overview )))". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- John DiBiase (2010-07-20). "Freaked! A Gotee Tribute to dc Talk's "Jesus Freak"". Jesus Freak Hideout.