Colors of the Wind
|"Colors of the Wind"|
|Song by Judy Kuhn from the album Pocahontas: An Original Walt Disney Records Soundtrack|
"Colors of the Wind" is a song written by lyricist Stephen Schwartz and composer Alan Menken for Walt Disney Pictures' 33rd animated feature film Pocahontas (1995). The film's theme song, "Colors of the Wind" was originally recorded by American singer and actress Judy Kuhn in her role as the singing voice of Pocahontas. American recording artist Vanessa Williams' cover of the song was released as the lead single from the film's soundtrack on March 23, 1995. A pop ballad, produced by Grammy Award-winning producer Keith Thomas, the song's lyrics speak of respecting nature and living in harmony with the Earth's creatures.
"Colors of the Wind" won the Academy Award for Best Original Song at the 68th Academy Awards in 1995, becoming composer Alan Menken's fourth win in the category. It also won the Golden Globe in the same category as well as the Grammy Award for Best Song Written for a Movie. The song poetically presents the Native American viewpoint that the earth is a living entity where humankind is connected to everything in nature.
The first two notes of Alan Menken's melody span a musical interval of a major sixth. Overall, the span of the melody reaches an eleventh. Because the melody spans a slightly larger range than some instruments, such as the Native American flute, can reach, alternative versions of the melody have been arranged that span a more modest interval.
Described as a "stirring anthem to animism", this song is Pocahontas' exhortation to Captain John Smith about the wonders of the earth and nature, including the spirit within all living things, encouraging him not to think of them as things he can conquer or own, but rather as beings to respect and live with in harmony. She also urges him to accept humans who are different in appearance and culture and to learn from them.
There is some debate over where the song begins within the narrative of the movie. The first part sung, when the music technically begins, has Pocahontas talking about how having experience with other races does not necessarily mean understanding them, and has her asking John Smith whether she is the savage between the two of them. As she sings this, she angrily shoves his gun into his hands, implying that that European attitude towards guns, violence, and racism is far more savage than the views that the Native Americans have. Pocahontas then tells John Smith that there is a lot about the Earth he doesn't know. At this point, it is considered that the song actually begins. The first line of the chorus tells of the wolf crying to the "blue corn moon", with the second line varying with the verse context. The phrase "blue corn moon" has no actual meaning in Native American folklore. It was made up by lyricist Stephen Schwartz because he liked the sound of it, being inspired by a Native American love poem that read "I will come to you in the moon of green corn". The second time the chorus is sung in the single version, the second line becomes "Or let the eagle tell you where he's been" since the film version only has the one chorus already mentioned. The third line tells of singing with the voices of the mountains, as the fourth line concludes with the title imagery of painting with the colors of the wind.
With the DVD release, a multilingual version of Colors of the wind made of some of the original dubs, was included in the bonus material. Since its first release, more dubs have been made, including some unofficial dubs, made by local TV stations.
|"Colors of the Wind" in other languages|
|Arabic||جيهان الناصر (Gihan Elnaser)||"ألوان الرياح" ("Alwan er-riyah")||"Colors of the wind"|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Kika Tristão (movie) and
Daniela Mercury (credits)
|"Cores do vento"||"Colors of the wind"|
|Canadian French||Stéphanie Martin||"Les couleurs du vent"||"The Colours of the wind"|
|Cantonese||李蕙敏 (Amanda Lee) (movie and credits)||"風采依然"||"Colors of the wind"|
|Castilian Spanish||Gema Castaño (movie) and
Véronica Romero (credits)
|"Colores en el viento"||"Colors in the wind"|
|Czech||Jana Durczaková||"Barvy větru"||"Colors of the wind"|
|Danish||Susanne Elmark (movie) and
Monique Spartalis (credits)
|"Vindens farver"||"Colors of the wind"|
|Dutch||Pia Douwes||"Kleuren Van De Wind"||"Colors of the wind"|
|European French||Laura Mayne (movie) &
Native (credits) and
Judith Bérard (trailer)
|"L'air du vent"||"The air of the wind"|
|European Portuguese||Susana Félix||"Quantas cores do vento tem"||"How many colors the wind has"|
|Finnish||Arja Koriseva (movie and credits)||"Tuulen värit"||"Colors of the wind"|
|German||Alexandra Wilcke (movie) and
Jennifer Rush (credits)
|"Das Farbenspiel des Winds"||"The iridescence of the wind"|
|Greek||Φιόνα Τζαβάρα (Fióna Tzavára)||"Χρώματα του ανέμου" ("Chrómata tou anémou")||"Colors of the wind"|
|Hebrew||ריטה (Rita)||"צבעי הרוח" ("Tsiv'ey ha'ruach")||"Colors of the wind"|
|Hindi||मैरियन डी'क्रूज़ (Marianne D'Cruz Aiman)||"हवा के रंग" ("Hava Ke Rang")||"Colors of the wind"|
|Hungarian||Udvarias Anna||"A szél színei"||"The colors of the wind"|
|Icelandic||Valgerður Guðnadóttir (movie) and
Margrét Eir (credits)
|"Vindsins litadýrð"||"The wind's colorful glory"|
|Indonesian||Beatrix Renita||"Warna Angin"||"Colors of the wind"|
|Italian||Manuela Villa (movie and credits)||"I colori del vento"||"The colors of the wind"|
|Japanese||土居裕子 (Yuko Doi)||"風の色" ("Kaze no iro")||"Colors of the wind"|
|Korean||신동희 (Shin Dong-Hee)||"바람의 빛깔" ("Parame pitkkal")||"Colors of the wind"|
|Latin American Spanish||Susana Zabaleta (movie) and
Vanessa Williams (credits)
|"Colores en el viento"||"Colors in the wind"|
|Malaysian||Juwita Suwito||"Mewarnai sang bayu"||"Paint the breeze"|
|Norwegian||Anita Skorgan (movie and credits)||"Farger i en vind"||"Colors in a wind"|
|Polish||Edyta Górniak||"Kolorowy wiatr"||"Colorful wind"|
|Romanian||Alina Eremia||"Culori al zării vânt"||"Colors of the wind of horizon"|
|Russian||Теона Дольникова (Teona Dolnikova)||"Цветами ветра рисовать" ("Tsvetami vetra risovat'")||"Painting with the colors of the wind"|
|Slovak||Soňa Norísová||"Farby vetra"||"Colors of the wind"|
|Swedish||Heléne Lundström||"Färger i en vind"||"Colors in a wind"|
|Taiwanese Mandarin||辛曉琪 ("Xīn Xiǎo-Qí"; Winnie Shin) (movie and credits)||"风之彩" ("Feng Zhi Cai")||"Colors of the wind"|
|Thai||ธีรนัยน์ ณ หนองคาย (Teeranai Na Nongkai) (movie) and
รวิวรรณ จินดา (Rawiwan Chinda) (credits)
|"สีสันแห่งสายลม" ("Sisan Haeng Sailom")||"Colors of the wind"|
|Turkish||Tuğba Önal (movie) and
Sertab Erener (credits)
|"Binbir Rengiyle Rüzgarın"||"The thousands of colors of the wind"|
|"Colors of the Wind"|
|Single by Vanessa Williams|
|from the album Pocahontas: An Original Walt Disney Records Soundtrack|
|Released||May 23, 1995|
|Label||Walt Disney, Mercury|
|Writer(s)||Alan Menken, Stephen Schwartz|
|Vanessa Williams singles chronology|
Due to the popularity of the song, many versions of it exist by different artists and in several languages. Cover artists include:
- Vanessa Hudgens on Disneymania 5 and Princess Disneymania
- Mirusia Louwerse
- Sara Ramirez
- Sumi Jo (Korean)
- Coco Lee (Mandarin, English)
- Ashanti (feat. Lil' Sis Shi Shi) on Disneymania and Disneyremixmania
- Ning Baizura
- Whitney Houston
- Michael Crawford on The Disney Album
- Christy Carlson Romano on Disneymania 3
- The Chipettes on When You Wish Upon a Chipmunk
- Danielle White
- Peter Broggs
- Peter Moon
- Lea Salonga on Songs from The Screen
- Amy Jo Johnson
- Arturo Sandoval
- Pam Tillis on The Best of Country Sing the Best of Disney
- ACIDMAN, a J-Rock band also played a remixed version of the song for their album Equal
- Gheorghe Zamfir (Instrumental)
- Thia Megia on the tenth season of American Idol (her studio version was released on the iTunes Store as "Colors of the Wind (American Idol Performance) - Single"
- Ivana Wong on Cinema of Love
- Brian Wilson covered "Colors of the Wind" on his album In the Key of Disney, which was released on October 25, 2011.
- Connie Talbot covered this song on her album Beautiful World in 2012.
- Suburban Legends (Ska Punk Cover)
- Chloë Agnew, a former Celtic Woman member
- Marilyn Byrnes on Sweet Dreams
- Max Schneider
We Love Disney
The song was covered in different languages for the series We Love Disney by:
- Jenifer for We Love Disney, France in 2013
- Anggun for We Love Disney, Indonesia in 2015
- Tori Kelly for We Love Disney, United States in 2015
- Ana Torroja for We Love Disney, Latin America in 2016
- Clint Goss (2011). "Colors of the Wind for the Native American Flute". Flutopedia. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- Kempley, Rita. "‘Pocahontas’: A Hit or Myth Proposition" Washington Post. June 23, 1995
- TheSchwerelos (2014-06-09), DVD Bonus - Colors of the Wind Official Multilanguage, retrieved 2016-08-25
- "Interview with Alexandra Wilcke". Charguigou. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Pocahontas". Charguigou. Retrieved 2016-04-26.
- "We Love Disney di Multi-interprètes su Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- "We Love Disney - Disney Indonesia". Disney Indonesia. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- "We Love Disney (Deluxe) by Various Artists on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- "We Love Disney (Latino) di Various Artists su Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- "australian-charts.com". Retrieved December 6, 2008.
- "irishcharts.ie search results for Vanessa Williams". Archived from the original on February 1, 2010. Retrieved December 6, 2008.
- "charts.org.nz - Vanessa Williams - Colors Of The Wind". Retrieved December 6, 2008.
- "everyhit.com search results for Vanessa Williams". Archived from the original on July 17, 2007. Retrieved December 6, 2008.
- "Allmusic - Vanessa Williams - Billboard Singles". Retrieved December 6, 2008.
- "Zoeken naar: Artiest: Vanessa Williams (in Dutch)". DutchCharts.nl. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- "dutchcharts.nl - Vanessa Williams - Colors Of The Wind". Retrieved December 6, 2008.
- "ultratop.be - Vanessa Williams - Colors Of The Wind". Retrieved December 6, 2008.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1995". Archived from the original on 2009-08-15. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- "American single certifications – Williams, Vanessa – Colors of the Wind". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Best-Selling Records of 1995". Billboard. BPI Communications. 108 (3): 56. January 20, 1996. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- on YouTube (on Disney's official channel)