|20 species (see text)|
Prostherapis Cope, 1868
Colostethus is a genus of poison dart frogs native to Central and South America, from Panama south to Colombia, Ecuador, and northern Peru. Their common name is rocket frogs, but this name may refer to frogs in other genera and families, following the taxonomic revision of the genus in 2006.
Colostethus was found to be "rampantly nonmonophyletic" in the taxonomic revision of poison dart frogs published in 2006. Before the revision, it had 138 species, but this was reduced to 18 species, after the former Colostethus were distributed among eight genera in two families, that is, in Dendrobatidae and in the newly established family Aromobatidae (e..g., Anomaloglossus). Within Dendrobatidae, many former Colostethus species were moved to Hyloxalus, while three were moved to the new genus Silverstoneia. Nevertheless, Colostethus is still considered paraphyletic because some Colostethus are more colosely related to Ameerega than to other Colostethus.
There are currently 20 species in this genus:
- Colostethus agilis Lynch and Ruiz-Carranza, 1985
- Colostethus alacris Rivero and Granados-Díaz, 1990
- Colostethus argyrogaster Morales and Schulte, 1993
- Colostethus brachistriatus Rivero and Serna, 1986
- Colostethus dysprosium Rivero and Serna, 2000
- Colostethus fraterdanieli Silverstone, 1971
- Colostethus fugax Morales and Schulte, 1993
- Colostethus furviventris Rivero and Serna, 1991
- Colostethus imbricolus Silverstone, 1975
- Colostethus inguinalis (Cope, 1868)
- Colostethus jacobuspetersi Rivero, 1991
- Colostethus latinasus (Cope, 1863)
- Colostethus lynchi Grant, 1998
- Colostethus mertensi (Cochran and Goin, 1964)
- Colostethus panamansis (Dunn, 1933)
- Colostethus pratti (Boulenger, 1899)
- Colostethus ruthveni Kaplan, 1997
- Colostethus thorntoni (Cochran and Goin, 1970)
- Colostethus ucumari Grant, 2007
- Colostethus yaguara Rivero and Serna, 1991
- Frost, Darrel R. (2015). "Colostethus Cope, 1866". Amphibian Species of the World: an Online Reference. Version 6.0. American Museum of Natural History. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Frost, Darrel R. (2015). "Amphibian Species of the World: an Online Reference. Version 6.0". American Museum of Natural History. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Grant, T.; Frost, D. R.; Caldwell, J. P.; Gagliardo, R.; Haddad, C. F. B.; Kok, P. J. R.; Means, D. B.; Noonan, B. P.; Schargel, W. E. & Wheeler, W. C. (2006). "Phylogenetic systematics of dart-poison frogs and their relatives (Amphibia: Athesphatanura: Dendrobatidae)" (PDF). Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. 299: 1–262. doi:10.1206/0003-0090(2006)299[1:PSODFA]2.0.CO;2.
- Media related to Colostethus at Wikimedia Commons