EG2000 Colour Genie computer
|Release date||August 1982|
|Operating system||16 KB ROM containing LEVEL II BASIC|
|CPU||Zilog Z80, 2 MHz|
|Memory||16 KB RAM, expandable to 32 KB|
|Input||63-key typewriter style Keyboard with 4 programmable function keys|
|Power||5V DC, +12V DC and -12V DC|
The EACA EG2000 Colour Genie was a computer produced by Hong Kong-based manufacturer EACA and introduced in Germany in August 1982. It followed their earlier Video Genie I and II computers and was released around the same time as the business-oriented Video Genie III.
The BASIC was compatible with the Video Genie I and II and the TRS-80, except for graphic and sound commands; some routines for Video Genie I BASIC commands were left over in the Colour Genie's BASIC ROM. Programs were provided to load TRS-80 programs into the Colour Genie. Colour Genie disks could be read in a TRS-80 floppy disk drive but not vice versa.
The original Video Genies had been based upon (and broadly compatible with) the then-current TRS-80 Model I. As the Colour Genie was descended from this architecture, it was incompatible with Tandy's newer TRS-80 Color Computer which - despite its name - was an entirely new and unrelated design based on an entirely different CPU, and thus incompatible with the TRS-80 Model I and derivatives such as the Color Genie.
- Video Hardware
- Motorola 6845 CRTC
- 40×24 text (original ROMs) or 40×25 text (upgraded ROMs), 16 colours, 128 user defined characters
- 160×96 graphics (original ROMs) or 160×102 graphics (upgraded ROMs), 4 colours x up to 4 pages
- Sound Hardware
I/O ports and power supply
- I/O ports:
- Composite video out and audio out (cinch plugs)
- Integrated RF modulator antenna output, which also carries sound, to TV
- Cartridge expansion slot (slot for edge connector with Z80 CPU address/data bus lines and control signals, as well as GND and voltage pins; used for ROM cartridges or the floppy disk controller
- 1200 baud tape interface (5 pin DIN)
- RS-232 port (5 pin DIN)
- Lightpen port (5 pin DIN)
- Parallel port for printer or joystick controller
External hardware options
- Floppy disk controller with floppy disk station.
- Supported up to 4 drives (5.25 inch).
- Support for 90 KB SS/SD up to 720 KB DS/DD drives.
- Cassette recorder
- EPROM cartridge of 12 KB
- EG2013 Joystick Controller
- 2 Analogue joysticks with keypads
- www.colourgenie.de.vu Colour Genie Homepage (in German)
- Colour Genie games at Everygamegoing Complete list of German and English games for the Colour Genie
- gansweith.freehostia.com/colourgenie/cgenie_en.html Colour Genie Homepage (English Version)
- Colour Genie and information on other EACA machines (English)
- Colour Genie game and review database (English/German)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Colour Genie.|