|Past members||Drew Mellon
Colour Revolt's members first played together while they were high school students at Jackson Academy in Jackson, MS under the name Foxxe, then changing to Fletcher and releasing a full length album entitled "Friends Don't Speak". They then moved on to become college students at the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Mississippi. They take their current name from Edwin Abbott's mathematical novel, Flatland. The group had intended to record their first EP in Mississippi in August 2005, but Hurricane Katrina interrupted the recording session, and so they recorded it in the house of local label Esperanza Plantation's owner, Chaney Nichols. The self-titled EP came out in December 2005; following this the group toured with Brand New and signed to Interscope Records, who re-released the EP on their subsidiary Tiny Evil in October 2006.
The group has also performed at SXSW and toured with Dinosaur Jr., Black Lips, Okkervil River, Menomena, Paper Rival, Explosions in the Sky, Malajube, Anathallo, and Manchester Orchestra. They then signed with Fat Possum Records; their full-length debut, Plunder, Beg and Curse, produced by Clay Jones, was released on April 1, 2008. In 2008, Boston newspaper The Phoenix named them the Best New Band from Mississippi. In 2009, Jesse Coppenbarger released a solo full length album under the moniker El Obo.
More recently, Cajeolas, Clark and Addison left the band for personal reasons and the band was dropped from Tiny Evil. They were replaced by Daniel Davison, formerly of Norma Jean, on drums, Brooks Tipton on keyboards, and Hank Sullivant, formerly of The Whigs, on bass. Coppenbarger has recorded a new solo under his own name, but a tentative release date has yet to be announced. The band was signed to Dualtone Records. 2010 saw the release of their second album, The Cradle. Davison and Sullivant were replaced by Patrick Ryan and Luke White for their summer tour.
- Jesse Coppenbarger - vocals, guitar, keyboard
- Sean Kirkpatrick - vocals, guitar, keyboards
- Brooks Tipton- keyboards
- Patrick Ryan- drums
- Luke White- bass
- Baskin Jones - bass
- Drew Mellon - bass
- Patrick Addison - bass
- Jimmy Cajoleas - guitar
- Len Clark - drums, vocals
- Wes Lawrence - bass
- Session & Touring
- Daniel Davison - drums
- Andy's Greatest Hits (2001)
- Friends Don't Speak (Esperanza Plantation, 2003)
- Colour Revolt
- Makeshift EP (2005)
- Colour Revolt EP (Esperanza Plantation, 2005; re-released Tiny Evil, 2006)
- Plunder, Beg and Curse (Fat Possum, 2008)
- Daytrotter Sessions EP (2008)
- The Cradle (Dualtone Records, 2010)
- Daytrotter Sessions EP (2012)
- Colour Revolt at Allmusic
- Band of the Day:Colour Revolt. SPIN, October 31, 2006. Accessed February 6, 2008.
- Colour Revolt Debut. AntiMusic, Jan. 17, 2008. Accessed February 6, 2008.
- Colour Revolt Offer MP3, Preps Fat Possum Debut. Paste Magazine, January 16, 2008. Accessed February 6, 2008.
- 50 Bands, 50 States, The Phoenix.Published July 4, 2008.
- Official MySpace
- Colour Revolt, Plunder, Beg & Curse Review
- Interview with Jesse Coppenbarger and Patrick Addison at Audioholic Media