Columbia Global Centers, East Asia
Columbia Global Centers | Beijing is a research facility established by Columbia University in Beijing, China, and is a part of the Columbia Global Centers network. Founded in March 2009, it aims to facilitate Columbia University with research and other events throughout the region. Xiaobo Lü, professor of political science at Barnard College and former director of the Weatherhead East Asian Institute at Columbia, served as the first Director of the East Asia center, followed by Chinese economist Geng Xiao.
The Summer Palace Dialogue
The Summer Palace Dialogue (SPD) is an annual economic conference that brings together leading economists and minister level decision makers from both China and America for two days of debate about issues and concerns that affect both sides. It was founded by former Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and current Chairman of AEA Investors Admiral Bill Owens and Vice Minister Liu He of the Chinese Central Leading Group on Financial and Economic Affairs, and is currently co-hosted by the Chinese Economist 50 Forum and Columbia Global Centeres | Beijing. The Summer Palace dialog is currently planning its 3rd annual conference which is schedulated to take place during mid September. Past years' Dialogues have centered on the global financial crisis and U.S.-China cooperation on climate change.
The Urban China Initiative
The Urban China Initiative (UCI) is a non-profit research project launched by Tsinghua University, McKinsey & Company, and Columbia Global Centers | Beijing. It aimes to establish a think-tank in Beijing to help China meet the challenges of urbanization.
The Initiative for Policy Dialogue
The Initiative for Policy Dialogue (IPD) is an annual conference co-organized by the Initiative for Policy Dialogue of Columbia University, and the Central University of Finance and Economics. Participants include Nobel Laureate and Columbia University Professor Joseph Stiglitz. During October 2009, Columbia Global Centers | Beijing assisted Initiative For Policy Dialogue in organizing a conference in Beijing with The China Task Force, a collaborative research project of IPD with several Chinese and British universities.
The International Healthcare Leadership Conference Series
The International Healthcare Leadership (IHL) Conference Series is an annual conference co-organized by International Health Leadership of Columbia University, Columbia Global Centers | Beijing, and China CEO magazine in an effort to design and implement educational programs in healthcare management and policy for Chinese government officials and health care executives. In July 2011, the IHL and its partners hosted an event at PricewaterhouseCoopers in Beijing on multidrug-resistant organisms, and how effective hospital management policy can help treat and prevent its spread.
Columbia Global Centers | Beijing explores and identifies internship and summer opportunities at local universities, organizations and businesses for Columbia University students wishing to obtain first-hand experience in China.
- "Columbia Global Center for East Asia in Beijing". JUCCCE. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Columbia Global Centers". Columbia University Wiki. Columbia University. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Speakers - Xiao Geng". The Second Global Think-Tank Summit. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- ""中美经济学家颐和园对话会"将于8月28日在京举行". China Economists 50 Forum. Archived from the original on 31 March 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "What is the SPD". Columbia University Global Centers Website. Columbia University Global Centers. Archived from the original on 25 March 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "China Changes The Climate Debate". Forbes.com. 2009-09-02. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "China should cut dollars if U.S. too loose: sovereign fund". Reuters. 2010-09-16. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "The Urban China Initiative Awards 8 Grants for Research on Chinese Urbanization". Urban China Initiative. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "2011 Releases". Foundation for European Progressive Studies. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "China Task Force Meeting, Beijing 2009". Initiative For Policy Dialogue . External link in
- "Medical School". Columbia Global Centers Website. Columbia Global Centers. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "July 2011: "Multidrug-Resistant Organisms: Effective Hospital Management and Policy, Treatment and Prevention" Columbia Global Centers, Beijing". IHF. Retrieved 31 August 2011.