Columbia Management Group
||This article needs to be updated. (August 2013)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Columbia Management is the investment adviser for the majority of funds in the Columbia Advisers, LLC(‘‘Columbia Management’’) Managementfamily of funds (‘‘Columbia Managementfunds’’) and to U.S. and non-U.S. institutional accounts and private funds, owned since 2009 by Ameriprise Financial.
In 1962, Jim Rippey and John “Jerry” Inskeep founded Columbia Management Company in Portland, Oregon; five years later, they opened the Columbia Growth Fund, the first mutual fund in Oregon. During the 20th century Columbia Management became the Pacific Northwest's largest money management company.
In 2007, Columbia sold Marsico Capital Management back to Tom Marsico and added the UST Advisers asset management from U.S. Trust Corporation when that company was acquired by Bank of America. In 2009, Bank of America received preliminary interest from BlackRock (a 49% subsidiary), Franklin Resources & Federated in acquiring Columbia from Bank of America.
On September 30, 2009, Ameriprise Financial, Inc. agreed to acquire Columbia Management for U.S. $1 billion. In 2010 Columbia Management was the seventh largest long-term asset manager in the U.S., with $355 billion in assets under management.
- Ameriprise Financial, Inc. (AMP) 2011 Annual Report via Wikinvest. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "About the Finance and Securities Analysis Center". Lundquist College of Business. University of Oregon. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- Hunsberger, Brent (August 17, 2009). "Oregon mutual fund pioneer Inskeep dies". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "Marsico Capital Management Announces Purchase of Firm from Bank of America". AllBusiness.com. 2007-06-14. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- Syre, Steven (2009-05-12). "Columbia's tangled web". Boston.com. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- "Ameriprise Pays $1B for Columbia Asset Unit". thestreet.com. 2009-09-30. Retrieved 2009-10-01.
- "Columbia Management Earns Seven Lipper Fund Awards" (PDF). Press release. Columbia Management. 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-17.