Columbia Park, Minneapolis
Location of Columbia Park within the U.S. city of Minneapolis
|• Total||1.501 sq mi (3.89 km2)|
|• Density||1,000/sq mi (400/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Location and characteristics
Columbia Park is an L-shaped neighborhood whose boundaries are 37th Avenue NE (the border between Minneapolis and Columbia Heights) to the north, Central Avenue to the east, 27th Avenue NE and St. Anthony Boulevard to the south and University Avenue, 4th Street NE and the Mississippi River to the west. It is named after three related items: Columbia Park itself (located within its borders), the park's acquisition in 1892 (the so-called "Columbian" year celebrating the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World) and the adjacent suburb of Columbia Heights.
Much of the area of Columbia Park is the park itself with residential areas situated north and west of it and industrial and railroad land located to the south of it. Most of the neighborhood's housing stock dates to the 1940s-1960s with some older Tudor and colonial style homes located on Columbia Parkway immediately north of the park.
Columbia Park is a 183 acres (0.74 km2) park complex including Columbia Golf Course, paths and trails, a playground, picnic area, dog park and other amenities. Prior to the park's development, the location was home to a large shallow lake named "Lake Sandy" or "Sandy Lake." It was gradually drained and filled in as the park was further developed, disappearing from city maps by 1914-1915.
Small businesses are scattered through the neighborhood and also situated along Central Avenue.
Columbia Park is served by Metro Transit bus routes 10 (Central Avenue) and 11 (37th Ave NE/University Ave). St. Anthony Parkway, Columbia Park and parts of University Avenue and Central Avenue have bike paths.
- "Columbia neighborhood in Minneapolis, Minnesota (MN), 55418 detailed profile". City-Data. 2011. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "Minneapolis Neighborhood Profile: Columbia Park" (PDF). Minnesota Compass. October 2011. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- Columbia Park, Minneapolis, MN. Google Earth. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Columbia Park". City of Minneapolis.
- "Columbia Park". LiveMSP.
- "History of Columbia Park". Columbia Park Neighborhood Association.
- "Interactive Transit Map". Metro Transit.
- "Minneapolis Bike Map". City of Minneapolis. Archived from the original on 2015-11-09. Retrieved 2015-11-18.