This is a partially sorted list of
Columbia University's representation in various films and television programs.
Movies making reference to Columbia and/or featuring scenes shot on the Morningside campus include:
One of the fountains at Columbia University
The music video for the
Fugees' single " Nappy Heads" (recorded in 1992 but not released until 1994) was primarily shot on the steps of Low Library. Recording artist
Nellie McKay released a song on her second album (2006), entitled "Columbia Is Bleeding", alleging animal abuse as part of the practice of Pretty Little Head animal testing at Columbia University.
Television [ edit ]
- 7th Heaven Matt and Sarah (Glass) Camden were students here until they graduated just after the 10th season finale.
- Beginning in Season 5, Castle Alexis Castle becomes a student at Columbia.
- In the last episode of the Internet TV show, Clark Duke is accepted to Columbia University but chooses not to go after his and Michael Cera's fictional TV show, "The Family Cruise", is picked up by CBS. Clark and Michael
- Jeff Winger attends Greendale Community College after the Colorado Bar Association discovers that his bachelor's degree from Columbia was forged. Community
- In the Gossip Girl third season, Blair Waldorf and Serena Van der Woodsen enroll at Columbia University.
- Carol Seaver attends Columbia. Growing Pains
- Doctors House Eric Foreman and James Wilson (House) attended medical school at Columbia, while Doctor Martha Masters received her undergraduate degree there.
- Marshall Eriksen is a law student at Columbia. How I Met Your Mother Ted Mosby becomes a professor of Architecture in the end of the fourth season. In the fifth season, it is revealed that the titular Mother was also a student in the Economics class of the university.
- prosecutor Law & Order Jamie Ross (later a judge on ) attended Columbia Law. Law & Order: Trial by Jury
- Both Lost Matthew Fox and his character, Dr. Jack Shephard, are Columbia alumni.
- Modern Family Mitchell Pritchett attended Cornell undergrad and Columbia Law.
- Nip/Tuck Dr. Erica Noughton, the mother of Julia McNamara, is a Columbia alumna with a Ph.D in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Joel Fleishman ( Northern Exposure Rob Morrow) is a graduate of Columbia.
Quantico - Senator Claire Haas gave one of her campaign speeches at Columbia's Miller Auditorium in episode 16 of season 1. Her dad was supposedly a Columbia alum.
- Saved by the Bell Jessie Spano attends Columbia.
- Kim Joo-won is a graduate of Columbia. Secret Garden
- The Sopranos Meadow Soprano, the daughter of Tony Soprano, is an undergraduate Columbia student.
- Kimmy Schmidt attended Columbia on scholarship. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
- Esteban Reyes attended Columbia. Weeds
- The West Wing Toby Ziegler, former White House Director of Communication, takes a faculty position at Columbia some time after being dismissed by President Jed Bartlett for leaking classified information.
- Valerie Tyler is an alumna of Columbia, and her sister, Holly, applies to Columbia as well. What I Like About You
- Will & Grace Will Truman and Grace Adler met in college at Columbia.
Fictitious Columbians [ edit ]
This section does not . cite any sources (February 2008)
Carl Luce is portrayed in
as a snobby intellectual Catcher in the Rye Columbia College student and former classmate of Holden Caulfield who has the highest IQ at the Whooton School. In , he is the best student at Pencey Prep. Slight Rebellion off Madison
Grace Adler (played by Debra Messing) on the NBC sitcom is a Columbia graduate. Will & Grace Meg Altman (
Jodie Foster), in the film , is a Columbia University student. Panic Room Andie Anderson (
Kate Hudson) in (2003) graduated from Columbia Journalism School. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days Aqua in
wanted to attend Columbia, and she makes references to their excellent physics departments. Cheetah Girls 3  Richard Cooper (
Chris Rock), in the film , held an I Think I Love My Wife M.B.A. degree from Columbia; the diploma can be seen hanging on the wall in the character's office.
Daredevil - The Marvel Comics superhero was valedictorian of his class at Columbia Law School. 
Jessica Darling, the protagonist of Megan McCafferty's Sloppy Firsts, Second Helpings, and Charmed Thirds, attends Columbia.
Marshall Eriksen of is a Columbia Law school graduate. How I Met Your Mother Dr. Joel Fleishman (
Rob Morrow), on the television series , was a graduate of Columbia. Northern Exposure Doctor
Eric Foreman on the popular Fox medical drama attended the medical school at Columbia. House Dr. Stanley Goodspeed (
Nicolas Cage) in the movie The Rock' holds a BA from Columbia. Kim Joo-won (portrayed by
Hyun Bin) in the South Korean television drama, , says he graduated from Columbia. Secret Garden  Willie Keith, the protagonist in
Herman Wouk's , is a Columbia student when he signs up for the Navy at the beginning of World War II; Wouk specifically refers to the campus, including buildings such as Furnald Hall. The Caine Mutiny
Tracy McConnell, the titular Mother of , was a Columbia student (studying economics). How I Met Your Mother Michael Moscovitz, a character in the
series by The Princess Diaries Meg Cabot, attends Columbia University.
Professor X, of X-Men fame, completed his graduate studies at Columbia, where he received his PhD in Anthropology. Radhika
Rani Mukerji, in the Bollywood movie, , is majoring in music at Columbia University when she meets Rajveer Singh Ta Ra Rum Pum Saif Ali Khan.
Jamie Ross - a prosecutor Law & Order Jamie Ross and later a judge on attended Columbia Law School. Law & Order: Trial by Jury Carol Seaver from the family sitcom
( Growing Pains Tracey Gold) attended the university.
Jack Shephard ( Matthew Fox) from ABC's graduated from Lost Columbia University Medical Center.
characters Grey's Anatomy Derek Shepherd, Mark Sloan and Addison Montgomery attended Columbia for medical school
Meadow Soprano, of the television series , attends Columbia College at Columbia University. The Sopranos 
Jessie Spano from attended Columbia in the show's spin-off. Saved by the Bell
Spider-Man/Peter Parker - In films directed by Spider-Man Sam Raimi, Peter Parker attains his powers after being bitten by a radioactive spider at a laboratory at Columbia University (the lab scenes were actually filmed at the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles), and later attends the school. Of note, in the comic books, Parker never attended Columbia; he attended the fictional Empire State University, which is based on the real-life Columbia University. David Strom, the family's father in
Richard Powers' novel, The Time of our Singing, is a physicist at Columbia. (The boys both attend Juilliard School.)
Will Truman (played by Eric McCormack) on the NBC sitcom is a Columbia graduate. Will & Grace Valerie Tyler in the TV show
is a Columbia graduate, with a degree in Public Relations. What I Like About You Iris Vegan, the heroine of
Siri Hustvedt's novel, The Blindfold (2008), is a grad student at Columbia from the Midwest.  Mara Waters, a character in Melissa de la Cruz's novel
The Au Pairs, decides to attend Columbia rather than Dartmouth. Doctor
James Wilson on the popular Fox medical drama attended the medical school at Columbia. House
References [ edit ]