Stratigraphic range: Devonian
Etched section of hand sample of Columbus Limestone from Kelleys Island
|Unit of||Onondaga Group|
|Sub-units||Bellepoint, Marblehead, Tioga Ash Bed, Venice, Delhi, Klondike, East Liberty|
|Underlies||Bass Islands Formation, Delaware Formation, and Ohio Shale|
|Thickness||0 to 105 feet|
|Region||Cincinnati Arch of North America|
|Extent||Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ontario|
|Named for||Columbus, Ohio|
|Named by||Mathur, 1859|
The depositional environment was most likely shallow marine.
The Columbus conformably overlies the Lucas Dolomite in northeastern Ohio, and unconformably overlies other dolomite elsewhere. It unconformably underlies the Ohio Shale in northwestern Ohio and the Delaware Limestone in eastern Ohio.
Its members include: Bellepoint, Marblehead, Tioga Ash Bed, Venice, Delhi, Klondike, and East Liberty.
- The type section is located in Columbus, Ohio.
- The glacial grooves on Kelleys Island are cut into the Columbus Limestone. It is also quarried there.
- An exposure in Ontario is located at Ingersoll, Ontario.
Tabulate corals include Syringopora tabulata, Favosites hemispherica minuta, Emmonsia polymorpha, Thamnoptychia alternans, Pleurodictyum sp., and Coenites dublinensis. Rugose corals include Prismatophyllum rugosum, Hexagonaria anna, Eridophyllum seriale, Synaptophyllum simcoense, Amplexus yandelli, Zaphrenthis perovalis, Heterophrentis nitida, Cystiphylloides americanum, Odontophyllum convergens, Siphonophrentis gigantea.
Fish fossils have been found in the East Liberty Member ("East Liberty bone bed").
Relative age dating of the Columbus Limestone places it in the Early to Middle Devonian period.
- Columbus Limestone, Mineral Resources On-Line Spatial Data, United States Geological Survey https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/sgmc-unit.php?unit=OHDc%3B0
- Ohio Division of Geological Survey, 1990 (rev. 2000, 2004), Generalized Column of Bedrock Units in Ohio; Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Geological Survey, 1p. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/10/pdf/stratcol.pdf
- Ehlers, G. M., and Stumm, E. C., 1951, Middle Devonian Columbus limestone near Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada, AAPG Bulletin; v. 35; no. 8; p. 1879-1888. August.
- Feldman, R.M.; Hackathorn (1996). Fossils of Ohio. Ohio Division of Geological Survey Bulletin 70. pp. 577 .
- http://www.fossilprep.com/archive/articles/columbus.htm retrieved 30 Jan 2010
- Wells, J.W., 1944, Middle Devonian bone beds of Ohio: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 55, no. 3, p. 273-302.
- Sweet, W. C., and Miller, A. K., 1956, Goniatites from the Middle Devonian Columbus Limestone of Ohio, Journal of Palaeontology, vol. 30, No. 4, p 811-817. July.
- GeoFacts No. 25, Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Geological Survey "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2010-01-31.