Columns (How I Met Your Mother)
|How I Met Your Mother episode|
|Episode no.||Season 2
|Directed by||Rob Greenberg|
|Written by||Matt Kuhn|
|Original air date||January 22, 2007|
|Season 2 episodes|
Ted is trying to deal with his former boss, Hammond Druthers, but when he can't, he decides to fire him. The first time he attempts to fire him, he is interrupted by fellow employees bearing a birthday cake for Hammond. The second time, Ted comes into the office one night and finds Hammond in boxers and a pajama shirt; his wife has left him, and he has been sleeping at the office. Once again, Ted's plan is thwarted, and he takes Hammond home to sleep on his couch.
Despite Ted's altruism, Hammond continues to belittle his ideas in the office. He tries to fire him again, but just as he is, Hammond is handed his divorce papers and learns that his dog is dead. Then, the employees approach with another birthday cake, since they were in Montreal during his real birthday celebration days before. Ted decides to fire him anyway, but Hammond suffers a heart attack in the process. Ted thinks he is faking it to keep from getting fired, and continues to mock him. Hammond is taken away in a stretcher. Everyone in the office initially hates Ted, but forgive him when he comes up with the idea of "Margarita Fridays," complete with margarita machines.
Meanwhile, Marshall is tormented by the picture Lily painted of him posing nude as a freshman at Wesleyan. Ted, Barney, and Robin find the painting behind the piano and have the bartender hang it up behind the bar at MacLaren's. Marshall manages to snatch it away by jumping at it.
Marshall wants to spend his honeymoon on a tour of the country's caverns, but Lily - who is up all night thinking about Barney's offer to have her paint him nude - says they can stay in Scotland using money from painting Barney. Marshall finds a more expensive castle in Scotland to stay at and tricks Barney into paying another $5000 by pretending to argue with Lily about painting another man in the nude. Barney is unhappy with the finished painting, complaining that Lily gave him the "Ken Doll" (not painting his genitals).
- Ted references the alternative rock band Foo Fighters during several flashbacks.
- Marshall tells Ted to ask himself Who's the Boss?, a reference to the 80s TV show. Barney is the only one who answers Mona.
- Marshall's concern about what Lily had to do to get the money, alludes to the 1993 movie Indecent Proposal.
- In the Wesleyan scene where Lily proposes to Marshall about the nude painting, Marshall is seen playing Super Mario World.
- Marshall is wearing an Arizona State University shirt as he opens the door as Lily is about to paint an almost-nude Barney.
|This section requires expansion. (April 2010)|
- Staci Krause (2007-02-13). "How I Met Your Mother: "Columns" Review. Barney pays for Lily and Marshall's honeymoon and Ted makes the best decision of his career in this funny, if not stand-out, episode.". IGN. News Corporation. Retrieved 2010-04-26.