Comadre was a screamo band from Redwood City, California, composed of former members of Heartcrosslove, One's Own Ruin, What Life Makes Us, and Light This City. Their sound is a shoot-off of hardcore and punk, played fast and chaotic with an abundance of energy, but with a large focus on melody and tunefulness as well. Their influences can perhaps best be shown by the covers the band has performed live, by groups such as Rites of Spring, Refused, Kid Dynamite, and Suicide File.
After playing a handful of shows and releasing a three-song demo under the moniker Coffin, the band changed their name to Comadre in the fall of 2004. The word "comadre," in addition to being loosely translated as "godmother," is a slang term for anyone not related by blood being a part of another's family.
Since their formation, the band has released four LPs and one EP on their own Bloodtown Recordings, Dood Records, Cosmic Note Records in Japan, and ADAGIO830 Records in Europe. They have toured the United States and Japan extensively - in America most commonly with Los Angeles-based "cinema-grind" band Graf Orlock, and in Japan with hardcore band Endzweck.
The band has also released a series of mixtapes, which feature collaborations with other bands.
- Wesley Elsbree (drums)
- Juan Gabe (vocals, of Heartcrosslove)
- Kenny Gabe (guitar, of Heartcrosslove)
- Jack Shirley (guitar, of One's Own Ruin)
- Steven Shirley (bass, of One's Own Ruin and Light This City)
The Youth (2004, Bloodtown CD; 2006, Dood LP)
- City Slickers Part VI
- Mess With the Best, Undress Like the Rest
- Well Damn if We All Ate the Berries We May As Well Die Together
- Slangin' Rocks in the House of God
- Remind Me Never to Stick My Hand Out the Window Again
- I Think We're Alone Now (*CD only, originally by Tommy James and the Shondells, 1967)
- Before You Puke (*LP only, originally by Jacob Ham, 1995?)
- Are You Guys Telling Jokes? I Like Jokes
- Welcome to Bloodtown Population Buried
- The Trials
- I Sleep With My Eyes Open
Burn Your Bones (2006, Cosmic Note CD; 2006, Bloodtown CD/LP; 2007, ADAGIO830 LP)
- Make Me Believe
- Breakfast of Champions
- El Padro Macho
- The Southern Comfort Smile
- Sabado Gigante
- Blackland Dirt
- Hey, Holmes, Slow Down...
- ...Naw, You Catch Up
- The Hole in the Ship SOS
- Give Me Hell
- Hit Me Up On My Celly-Cell
A Wolf Ticket (2009, ADAGIO830 LP; 2009, Cosmic Note CD; 2009, Pure Mind Tape; 2010, Bloodtown 10"; 2010, Paper + Plastick 10")
- Viva Hate Pt. 1
- Viva Hate Pt. 2
- Word Is Bond
- Grow Worms
- King Jeremy
- "Suicides May Have Been Pact"
Comadre (2013, Vitriol Records LP; 2013, Cosmic Note CD)
- Color Blind
- Cold Rain
- King Worm
- The Moon
- Drag Blood
- Must Be Nice
- Date Night
More Songs About the Man (2005, Coldbringer 7"; 2005, Bloodtown CD)
- Burn the Scene!
- Fill the Void!
- Who's Got the Golden Ticket Now?
- The Hole in the Ship, SOS!
- Sweet Thing
- The Trials! (Live)
- There Is No Title, Only Zuul!
- Mess With The Best, Undress Like The Rest!
- Are You Guys Telling Jokes? I Like Jokes!
- Welcome To Bloodtown, Population: Buried!
Trainwreck split (2007, Bloodtown CD; React With Protest LP)
- Camel Bucks
- The Best Snakes Bite Back
- Teeth Versus Teeth
- 60 Grit
- Crimes and Cadillacs
Glasses split (2010, Bloodtown 2x7"; Vitriol 2x7")
- The Sweeter The Juice
- Byrne'ing Down The Haus
- Count Basie Box Set
- "Living Differently?!"
Carry The Torche: A Tribute To Kid Dynamite (2009, Black Numbers 2xLP, Get Outta Town CD)
- Death And Taxes
Live At The Atlantic Vol III: Fest Edition (2009, Sound Study LP)
- Make Me Believe (Live)
The Emo Annihilation (2008, React With Protest 6")
- Hector The Collector