|Directed by||Pradeep Ranganathan|
|Produced by||Ishari K. Ganesh|
|Written by||Pradeep Ranganathan|
|Music by||Hiphop Tamizha|
|Cinematography||Richard M. Nathan|
|Edited by||Pradeep E. Ragav|
|Distributed by||Sakthi Film Factory|
|142 mins 55 secs|
|Box office||28 Crore|
Comali (transl. clown) is a 2019 Indian Tamil-language comedy film produced by Vels Film International. Also known by its working title during production, JR24, the film is written and directed by Pradeep Ranganathan in his directorial debut and stars Jayam Ravi, Kajal Aggarwal and Samyuktha Hegde. The film marks the first collaboration between Ravi and Aggarwal, and it marks the second collaboration between Ravi and Hiphop Tamizha, after the 2015 film Thani Oruvan. The film was released on 15 August 2019.
- Jayam Ravi as Ravi
- Kajal Aggarwal as Reethika Mohan
- Samyuktha Hegde as Nikitha Krishnamurthy
- K. S. Ravikumar as MLA Dharmaraj
- Yogi Babu as Mani
- Sha Ra as Dr. Thyagesh
- RJ Ananthi as Divya Mani
- Kavita Radheshyam as Shop Lady
- Aadukalam Naren as Ravi's father
- Praveena as Ravi's mother
- Vinodhini Vaidyanathan as Dharmaraj's wife
- Ponnambalam as Gaaja, the Madras don
- Varun as Nagaraj, a hacker
- KPY Ramar as Dharmaraj's sidekick
- Bijili Ramesh as Dharmaraj's watchman
- Prashanth Rangaswamy as TV Interviewer
- Manikandan Vaidyanathan as Loan Collection Agent
- Mannai Sadhik as a Resident
- Snehan as Royal King (cameo appearance)
- Pradeep Ranganathan as Joseph (cameo appearance)
Jayam Ravi lost 20 kilograms (44 lb) of weight for the film, which was shot in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, on a specially erected school set. Popular Bollywood and Kannada actress Kavita Radheshyam was brought in to play an important role. Hiphop Tamizha agreed to compose the film's music, while Richard M. Nathan and Pradeep E. Ragav were selected as cinematographer and editor respectively.
The movie trailer was released on 3 August 2019.
The film's soundtrack is composed by Hiphop Tamizha, marking their second collaboration with Jayam Ravi after Thani Oruvan. Lyrics are written by Hiphop Tamizha, Kabilan Vairamuthu, Pradeep Ranganathan, Gana Kavi, and Mobin.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||20 June 2019|
|Label||Sony Music South|
|Hiphop Tamizha chronology|
|1.||"Paisa Note"||Hiphop Tamizha, Pradeep Ranganathan, Gana Kavi, Mobin||Hiphop Tamizha, Koushik Krish||3:04|
|2.||"Yaara Comali"||Hiphop Tamizha||Hiphop Tamizha||3:18|
|3.||"Oliyum Oliyum"||Kabilan Vairamuthu||Sathya Narayan, Ajay Krishnaa||4:44|
|4.||"Hi Sonna Pothum"||Pradeep Ranganathan||Kaushik Krish||3:50|
|5.||"Nanba Nanba"||Hiphop Tamizha||Sanjith Hegde||2:33|
The movie and its trailer was embroiled in controversy of mocking Rajinikanth by sarcastically remarking his repeated foray into politics since 1996. The mockery enraged his fans and provided free negative publicity to the film among the general audience. The film's producer Ishari K. Ganesh has agreed to remove the controversial scene from the film owing to repeated backlash.
The film was released on 15 August 2019 keeping in mind with the continuous holidays of the Independence Day. The film was well received by the critics who lauded the script's USP of a Comatose survivor waking up after 16 years to see the changes in the world. They praised Ravi's acting who distinctly portrayed the role of a 17 year old school student and a 33 year old Comatose survivor. They praised the comical duo of the lead and Yogi Babu in the first half but criticized the melodrama in the second half of the film. The film topped the domestic despite stiff competition from Ajith Kumar's Nerkonda Paarvai which was released earlier in the month. It amassed close to Rs.28 Crores worldwide.
- "புதிய படத்துக்காக 18 கிலோ வெயிட் குறைச்ச ஜெயம் ரவி". NDTV Tamil Cinema (in Tamil). Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- Siddarthsrinivas. "A whacky title for Jayam Ravi's school boy drama!". in.com. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- "A whacky title for Jayam Ravi's school boy drama!". in.com. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Kavita Radheshyam shoots for Jayam Ravi's next". Sandalwood Cinema. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "Comali producer agrees to remove Rajinikanth troll!". 5 August 2019. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- "Comali movie review: Jayam Ravi carries a largely lighthearted film on his shoulders, as both a student and a joker- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 15 August 2019. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- S, Srivatsan (15 August 2019). "'Comali' review: Jayam Ravi, Yogi Babu hit jackpot in a convoluted film". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- "Comali Worldwide Box Office Collections (Week 1): Jayam Ravi's Film Hits The Jackpot". Filmibeat. 22 August 2019. Retrieved 22 August 2019.