Come Away with Me
|Come Away with Me|
|Studio album by Norah Jones|
|Released||February 26, 2002|
|Recorded||2001; Sorcerer Sound, New York City; Allaire Studios, Shokan|
|Genre||Pop, country, blues, jazz, folk|
|Producer||Jay Newland, Arif Mardin, Craig Street, Norah Jones|
|Norah Jones chronology|
|Singles from Come Away with Me|
Come Away with Me is the debut album of pianist and singer Norah Jones, released by Blue Note Records on February 26, 2002. Recording sessions for the album took place at New York City's Sorcerer Sound Studio and Shokan's Allaire Studios in 2001.
The album's critical and commercial success was a breakthrough for Jones in 2002, as it reached the top of the Billboard 200 chart and several jazz charts. The album also topped many critics' "albums of the year" lists and gathered major music awards in the process, including eight Grammy Awards. Following initial sales, Come Away with Me was certified diamond by the RIAA on February 15, 2005 having shipped over 10 million copies in its first three years of release. and has sold more than 26 million copies worldwide.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Come Away with Me is a mellow, acoustic pop album with soul and country overtones. It also incorporates blues, jazz, and folk styles. Bobby Dodd of All About Jazz writes that, although the album features jazz standards, jazz purists and academics "may deny [Jones] jazz credibility for her folk infusion". Jones' guitarist Jesse Harris and bassist Lee Alexander wrote most of the album's songs, which feature simple melodies and progressions.
In the United States, the album debuted on the Billboard 200 at #139 and reached the top of the chart after one year. In total the album was on the Billboard 200 for 163 weeks. It was certified platinum from the Recording Industry Association of America on August 22, 2002. It went on to sell over ten million copies over the next year, and on February 15, 2005, was certified as a diamond record by the RIAA. As of October 2014, the album has sold over 11 million copies, making it the eleventh best-selling album of the Nielsen SoundScan era in the US. The album sold approximately 26 million copies worldwide.
In Germany, the album debuted just at No. 37, nevertheless it stayed a total of 141 weeks on the official German Albums Chart and it managed to reach No. 2 in its 37th week on that chart, where it stayed for 4 weeks. In the end, Come Away with Me sold 750,000 copies, reaching 5× gold, being her most successful album in that country and one of the longest-staying albums on the German Albums Chart.
|The Austin Chronicle|||
|Los Angeles Daily News|||
|Los Angeles Times|||
|Yahoo! Music UK|||
Come Away with Me received acclaim from most music critics. It holds an aggregate score of 82/100 at Metacritic. The album received 3.5 out of 4 stars from both the Chicago Sun-Times and the Los Angeles Times. AllMusic's David R. Adler wrote that "while the mood of this record stagnates after a few songs, it does give a strong indication of Jones' alluring talents." Robert Christgau of The Village Voice cited it as "the most unjazz album [Blue Note] has ever released" and criticized that "Jones's voice dominates the record" because "her main writers are pretty anonymous", although he found it to be a "sincere" and "exemplary biz success story in which the good guys win." In his Consumer Guide, Christgau picked out her cover version of Hank Williams' "Cold, Cold Heart" as a "choice cut",(), calling it "a good song on an album that isn't worth your time or money".
The A.V. Club gave it a favorable review and called the album "A showcase for Jones' remarkable voice, the disc captures a singer whose rare instinct for interpretation always serves the song, rather than working against it." E! Online gave it an A and stated: "Gorgeous and intimate, the 14 songs on her debut disc ache with romantic maturity and a smart, slow-jam sexiness that belies the fact that, at 22, Jones is hardly older than Britney Spears."
The album won eight awards (Jones won five of the awards) at the Grammy Awards of 2003, including Album of the Year, as well as Record of the Year and Song of the Year for "Don't Know Why." Although she was happy about her success, Jones felt bad about sweeping the Grammy Awards. In an interview for 60 Minutes, Jones told Katie Couric:
I felt like I went to somebody else's birthday party and I ate all their cake. Without anybody else getting a piece. That's how I felt.—Norah Jones
Rolling Stone ranked Come Away with Me at number 54 on its list of the 100 Best Album of the Decade.
|1.||"Don't Know Why"||Jesse Harris||3:06|
|2.||"Seven Years"||Lee Alexander||2:25|
|3.||"Cold Cold Heart"||Hank Williams||3:38|
|4.||"Feelin' the Same Way"||Alexander||2:55|
|5.||"Come Away with Me"||Norah Jones||3:18|
|6.||"Shoot the Moon"||Harris||3:57|
|7.||"Turn Me On"||John D. Loudermilk||2:33|
|9.||"I've Got to See You Again"||Harris||4:13|
|10.||"Painter Song"||Alexander, JC Hopkins||2:41|
|11.||"One Flight Down"||Harris||3:03|
|13.||"The Long Day Is Over"||Jones, Harris||2:44|
|14.||"The Nearness of You"||Hoagy Carmichael, Ned Washington||3:09|
|Japan bonus track|
|15.||"What Am I to You?"||Jones||2:42|
|Limited edition bonus disc|
|1.||"Ruler of My Heart" (featuring Dirty Dozen Brass Band)||Irma Thomas||3:01|
|2.||"Cold Cold Heart" (Live)||Williams||4:44|
|3.||"I'll Be Your Baby Tonight"||Bob Dylan||3:18|
|5.||"Come Away with Me" (music video)||3:19|
|iTunes LP deluxe version|
|15.||"I'll Be Your Baby Tonight"||Bob Dylan||3:20|
|16.||"Something Is Calling You" (original demo version)||Harris||3:33|
|18.||"Don't Know Why" (music video)||3:11|
|19.||"Come Away with Me" (music video)||3:19|
- Norah Jones – vocals (1–14), piano (1, 3, 5–7, 9–14), Wurlitzer electric piano (4)
- Sam Yahel – Hammond B-3 organ (6, 7, 11)
- Rob Burger – pump organ (8), accordion (10)
- Jesse Harris – acoustic guitar (1, 5, 6, 9, 11–13), electric guitar (1)
- Kevin Breit – acoustic guitar (2, 4), National guitar (2), electric guitar (4, 13)
- Adam Levy – electric guitar (3, 5, 6, 9, 11, 12), acoustic guitar (8, 10)
- Adam Rogers – guitar (7)
- Tony Scherr – slide guitar and acoustic guitar (8)
- Bill Frisell – electric guitar (13)
- Jenny Scheinman – violin (9, 11)
- Lee Alexander – bass (1–13)
- Joseph Quevedo – drums (1, 5, 7, 11)
- Brian Blade – drums (2, 4, 6, 8–10, 12), percussion (2, 9)
- Kenny Wollesen – drums (13)
- Arif Mardin – string arrangement (11)
|Producers||Norah Jones, Arif Mardin, Jay Newland, Craig Street|
|Engineers||S. Husky Höskulds, Jay Newland|
|Assistant engineers||Mark Birkey, Dick Kondas, Brandon Mason, Todd Parker|
|Mixing||Arif Mardin, Jay Newland|
|Mixing assistant||Todd Parker|
|Mastering||Ted Jensen, Mark Wilder|
|A&R||Brian Bacchus, Chris Cofoni, Bruce Lundvall, Eliott Wolf|
|Production coordination||Eden White, Shell White|
|Product manager||Zach Hochkeppel|
|Creative director||Gordon Jee|
|Art direction||Jessica Novod|
|Argentina (CAPIF)||2× Platinum||80,000x|
|Australia (ARIA)||11× Platinum||770,000^|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||2× Platinum||60,000x|
|Belgium (BEA)||2× Platinum||100,000*|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Diamond||1,000,000^|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||3× Platinum||150,000^|
|Germany (BVMI)||5× Gold||750,000^|
|Greece (IFPI Greece)||Gold||10,000^|
|Japan (RIAJ)||2× Platinum||500,000^|
|Netherlands (NVPI)||3× Platinum||240,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||11× Platinum||165,000^|
|Poland (ZPAV)||2× Platinum||200,000*|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||3× Platinum||120,000x|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||8× Platinum||2,400,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Diamond||11,020,000|
|Europe (IFPI)||7× Platinum||7,000,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|2003||Come Away with Me||Album of the Year|
|Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical|
|Producer of the Year, Non-Classical|
|Best Pop Vocal Album|
|"Don't Know Why"||Best Female Pop Vocal Performance|
|Record of the Year|
|Song of the Year|
|Norah Jones||Best New Artist|
- List of best-selling albums
- List of best-selling albums in the United States
- List of best-selling albums in Australia
- List of best-selling albums in New Zealand
- Adler, David R. "Come Away with Me - Norah Jones". AllMusic. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "Music: Come Away with Me (CD) by Norah Jones, 106257836". Tower.com.
- Acclaimedmusic.net – Come Away with Me
- "The Humility of Norah Jones, She Says Her Dominance at the Grammys Made Her Feel Bad". CBS Interactive Inc. February 8, 2007. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "RIAA Searchable Database". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- Brown, Helen (April 27, 2012). "Norah Jones, Little Broken Hearts, CD Review". The Telegraph. Retrieved 2012-0-29. Check date values in:
- "Review: Come Away with Me". Mojo (London): 110. April 2002.
...a delicate acoustic dance that pulls country, blues and jazz...
- Dodd, Bobby (May 1, 2002). "Norah Jones: Come Away With Me". All About Jazz. Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- Caulfield, Keith (October 10, 2014). "Adele's '21' Surpasses 11 Million In U.S. Sales". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 11, 2014.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank ('Come%20Away%20with%20Me')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Studio 360 commentary. October 1, 2004. Accessed on: March 19, 2009.
- "Norah Jones". PopMatters.
- "Critic Reviews for Come Away with Me". Metacritic. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Norah Jones Weaves a Haunting Allure; Super Furry Animals Study Anthropology". latimes.
- "SOUND CHECK.". thefreelibrary.com.
- "Review: Norah Jones - Music - The Austin Chronicle". austinchronicle.com.
- "Vibe". google.com.
- "Come Away With Me - EW.com". Entertainment Weekly's EW.com.
- "Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (album review 2) - Sputnikmusic". sputnikmusic.com.
- "LAUNCH, Music on Yahoo! - Norah Jones - 'Come Away With Me'". yahoo.com. Archived from the original on August 16, 2004.
- "Norah Jones". rollingstone.com. Archived from the original on October 14, 2007.
- Wisser, Emerick Jeff. "Norah Jones, Come Away with Me (Blue Note)". Chicago Sun-Times: 15. March 31, 2002.
- Christgau, Robert (March 11, 2003). "What's Not to Like? Norah Jones". The Village Voice (New York). Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: Norah Jones". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG 90s: Key to Icons". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Review: Norah Jones: Come Away With Me · Music Review · The A.V. Club". avclub.com.
- "Come Away With Me > Charts & Awards". All Media Guide, LLC. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "Amazon.com: Norah Jones: Come Away With Me (Limited Edition): Music". amazon.com.
- iTunes - Music - Come Away With Me (Deluxe Version) by Norah Jones
- "Norah Jones – Come Away With Me". ultratop.be. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Norah Jones - Come Away With Me". acharts.us.
- "ノラ・ジョーンズ". ORICON STYLE.
- Davidalic. "LISTAS DE AFYVE". afyvecharts.blogspot.co.nz.
- "South Korea Gaon Album Chart". On the page, select "2013.12.08~2013.12.14" to obtain the corresponding chart. Gaon Chart Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- "Oficjalna lista sprzedaży :: OLIS - Official Retail Sales Chart". OLiS. Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved April 25, 2014.
- "Charts". Billboard.
- "Discos de oro y platino" (in Spanish). Cámara Argentina de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Archived from the original on July 6, 2011. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2012 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Austrian album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Norah Jones in the field Interpret. Enter Come Away with Me in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – 2004". Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Brazilian album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Canadian album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me". Music Canada.
- "Danish album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me". IFPI Denmark.
- "French album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "InfoDisc : Les Certifications (Albums) du SNEP (les Disques de Diamant)". infodisc.fr.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Norah Jones; 'Come Away with Me')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Greek album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in Greek). IFPI Greece.
- "Ελληνικό Chart". archive.is.
- "Italian album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved May 5, 2015. Select Album e Compilation in the field Sezione. Enter Norah Jones in the field Filtra. The certification will load automatically
- "Japanese album certifications – ノラ・ジョーンズ – ノラ・ジョーンズ" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan.
- "Certificaciones – Norah Jones" (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas.
- "Dutch album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers.
- "New Zealand album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand.
- "Polish album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in Polish). Polish Producers of Audio and Video (ZPAV).
- "Spanish album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (PDF) (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. Select the "Chart", enter 2004 in the field "Year". Select '' in the field "Semana". Click on "Search Charts"
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 2003" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Norah Jones; 'Come Away with Me')". Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Come Away with Me in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- "IFPI Platinum Europe Awards – 2008". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.
8 Mile Soundtrack
Chocolate Factory by R. Kelly
|Billboard 200 number-one album
January 19 – February 8, 2003
March 9–15, 2003
Home by Dixie Chicks
Get Rich or Die Tryin' by 50 Cent
8 Mile Soundtrack by various artists
|Australian ARIA Albums Chart number-one album
February 10 – March 30, 2003
May 12–25, 2003
Innocent Eyes by Delta Goodrem
The Look of Love by Diana Krall
Harry for the Holidays by Harry Connick, Jr.
Only You by Harry Connick, Jr.
The Girl in the Other Room by Diana Krall
|Billboard Top Jazz Albums number-one albums
March 30, 2002 – November 29, 2003
January 17–31, 2004
April 10 – May 8, 2004
August 14 – November 6, 2004
Harry for the Holidays by Harry Connick, Jr.
Only You by Harry Connick, Jr.
The Girl in the Other Room by Diana Krall
When I Fall in Love by Chris Botti