Come and Join Us
|Come and Join Us|
|Studio album by Petra|
|Recorded||Golden Voice Studios, South Pekin, IL|
The album continues with a style similar to the one of their previous album, which is something between country and Southern rock. However, the music is more rock-oriented, and the lyrics show more depth.
Also - like their previous album - there is no lead singer per se. Instead, the lead vocals are handled by guitarists Bob Hartman and Greg Hough, and some guest singers. One of the guest singers is Greg X. Volz who later became the band's full-time singer.
Bob Hartman wanted to title the album "God Gave Rock and Roll to You," after one of the songs. This song was written by Russ Ballard for his band Argent, and later became a rock and roll anthem, covered by other bands like KISS (1991) and Bride (1993). However, Myrrh Records deemed it to be inappropriate and forced Hartman to change the title. Petra would cover that song again in 1984 on their seventh album.
Another drawback for Hartman was the exclusion of the song "Killing My Old Man". It was recorded for this album, but was dropped by Myrrh before the album was released. The song remained a staple in concert, though, and was eventually recorded for the 1981 album Never Say Die.
All songs written by Bob Hartman, except where noted.
- "God Gave Rock 'n' Roll to You" (Russ Ballard) – 5:35
- "Ask Him In" – 3:30
- "Sally" (Greg Hough) – 4:25
- "Without You I Would Surely Die" (Hough) – 4:27
- "Come and Join Us" – 4:39
- "Where Can I Go" – 3:51
- "Holy Ghost Power" – 2:26
- "Woman Don't You Know" (Hartman & Hough) – 3:39
- "God Gave Rock and Roll To You" (reprise) (Ballard) – 2:48
The cover art was done by Dennis Bellile while the band's logo was designed by Craig Yoe (Yoe-Yoe Studio).
- Bob Hartman - Guitar, vocals
- Greg Hough - Guitar, vocals
- John DeGroff - Bass
- Bill Glover - Drums, percussion
- Steve McElyea - keyboards
- Steve Mergen - percussion
- Allen C. Hornung - percussion
- Steve Pfeiffer - percussion
- Cowbell Bob - percussion
- Houghie I - percussion
- Steve Camp - percussion, guest vocals
- Greg X. Volz - guest vocals
- Karen Morrison - guest vocals
- Austin Roberts - guest vocals
- Terry Jamison - engineer
- Allen C. Hornung, Bill Olszewski - assistant engineer
- Arrangements by Petra
- Recorded at Golden Voice Studios, South Pekin, Illinois
- Mastered by Lanky Linstrot, ABC Records, Los Angeles, California
- Austin Roberts - Producer