Comet Vale, Western Australia
Old Gladsome Mine, Comet Vale, Western Australia, ca. 1928
|Elevation||386 m (1,266 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Menzies|
|State electorate(s)||Electoral district of Kalgoorlie|
The town site was named after a comet that could be seen at about the time gold was discovered in the area. By 1895 the town had a population of approximately 500, and by 1897 the townspeople were demanding a post-office. The postmaster general instructed postmasters at Menzies and Googarrie prepare daily mail bags for Comet Vale which were then distributed at one of the stores in town. The Comet Vale Hotel was established some time prior to 1898. The town was gazetted in 1916.
A prospector, Dan Baker is credited with the initial gold discovery. Two mines were in production in 1900 named Lady Margaret and Long tunnel. The Gladsome mine was operating before 1905, and the Moss brothers built a 10-head stamp mill and Coonega at Comet Vale.
More mines opened later including Sand Queen and Happy Jack both of which continued to operate after World War I. A police station had been established in the town and was destroyed in 1916. A coach service used to service the town coming from Goongarrie and continuing to the Ularring district.
In 1921 fresh water was found in old shafts not far from town to replace water requirements that had been sent by rail from Kalgoorlie.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – C". Retrieved 15 February 2011.
- "The wants of Menzies". The West Australian. 13, (3,452). Western Australia. 18 March 1897. p. 5. Retrieved 27 December 2016 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Attack on a Trading Schooner". Coolgardie Miner. 4, (956). Western Australia. 4 January 1898. p. 2. Retrieved 27 December 2016 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Morowa Historical Society" (PDF). 2009. Retrieved 15 February 2011.
- "Mining and Stocks and Shares". The West Australian. XXI, (6,029). Western Australia. 13 July 1905. p. 6. Retrieved 27 December 2016 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Mining and Stocks and Shares". The West Australian. XXI, (5,975). Western Australia. 11 May 1905. p. 5. Retrieved 27 December 2016 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Comet Vale Water supply". Western Argus. 26, (5072). Western Australia. 18 January 1921. p. 13. Retrieved 27 December 2016 – via National Library of Australia.