Comilla Zilla School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Comilla Zilla school
কুমিল্লা জিলা স্কুল
Symbol of "Comilla Zilla School"
|Type||Public high school|
|School board||Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, Comilla|
|Headmaster||Rasheda Akter (2011- present)|
|Grades||Class 5 to 10|
|Medium of language||Bengali|
|Campus size||Urban, 5.69 acres|
|Special Project||Connecting classrooms under British Council|
Comilla Zilla School (Bengali: কুমিল্লা জিলা স্কুল) is a boys' school in Comilla, a city in Bangladesh. It is one of the oldest & prestigious school in the country. It was the only school in Comilla when it was established in 1837.
The school, in the center of Comilla town, was established in July 20, 1837 by an Englishman named Henry George Leicester. It was set up by the government of British India for teaching English literature and science and named Comilla Zilla School. In the beginning, there was only 37 students. From 1857, the school was running under Kolkata University. In the 1850s, the school academic building was expanded and more facilities were created to make it a full-fledged high school. The school is situated on 5.69 acre land.
Initially the school conducted only one shift. From 1991 two shifts were introduced: morning and day. Presently all the classes from 5 to 10 are running. There are six sections in each of the classes: ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’, and ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ for class six to eight where ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ are in morning shift and day shift. There are two sections in nine and ten; they are 'A' and 'B'.
There are 60 students in each of the sections. For class nine and ten students are distributed into four sections following the same structure with a larger number of students in a class. Almost 2,000 students are studying in the school with 53 teachers.
There are four buildings, a big beautiful Shaheed Minar and a hostel for the students. There is a big library and a common room also. The school is full of various trees. There is a beautiful garden full of flower plants too. And, the school playground is capable to play Cricket, Football, Badminton, Basketball and many sports.
- Bangladesh National Cadet Corps (BNCC).
- Red Crescent.
- Games and sports (mostly athletics, cricket, Badminton,Basketball, swimming and football).
- Cultural activities.
- Math and language competitions.
- Science fair.
- Study tour.
- Social Development.
- Participates in Bangladesh Mathematical Olympiad every year.
These school has three academic buildings, an administrative building and two hostels. There is a big field in the school arena and there's also a basketball court . Other facilities include mosque, workshop, auditorium, canteen, shaheed minar, and library. There are fifty three teachers and twenty staff. The school has five laboratories & a computer lab.
Comilla Zilla School is one of the oldest & prestigious school in Bangladesh.The school is known for the quality of education.getting admitted here is quite competitive because of low acceptance rate.Less than 10% of the total applicants can be admitted to the school.
Among schools under the Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, Comilla, the school ranked first numerous times on Secondary School Certificate (SSC) examination.
Since its establishment, Comilla Zilla School has produced a lot of scientists,engineers,writers,doctors,journalist,lawyers,politicians,University teachers, government officials,successful businessmen.
- A.B.M. Khairul Haque, former Chief Justice of Bangladesh
- Dhirendranath Datta, Bengali lawyer who was active in the politics of undivided Bengal in pre-partition India and later in East Pakistan (1947–1971)
- General Iqbal Karim Bhuiyan, former Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh
- Himangshu Dutta, a music composer in the Bengali music industry
- Kamrul Ahsan, former High Commissioner of Bangladesh to Canada, former High Commissioner to Singapore
- Khondaker Mostaq Ahmad, served as the President of Bangladesh
- Muhammad Anwar Hossain, 2nd Lt. (1-E Bengal), first Shaheed defense officer during Bangladesh Liberation War, later awarded as Bir Uttom by Bangladesh Government
- Sachin Dev Burman, musician
- Shib Narayan Das, a leading student leader of late 1960s who designed the first national flag of Bangladesh
- "History". Comilla Zilla School.
- "SSC result: Pass rate drops in Comilla Board". The Daily Observer. 19 May 2014.
- "Comilla Zilla School secures top position in Comilla board". Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS). 30 May 2015.
- "H.E. Kamrul Ahsan, Bangladesh High Commissioner to Singapore". High Commission of Bangladesh, Singapore. Archived from the original on 6 March 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- 175 Years of Comilla Zilla School.
- Nawaz, Ali (2012). "Dev Burman, Sachin". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.