Coming Around Again (album)
|Coming Around Again|
|Studio album by Carly Simon|
|Released||April 13, 1987|
|Recorded||1986-1987 at Right Track Recording, Power Station Studios, Pin Wheel Studio, Unique Recording and Flying Monkey, New York City and Cliffhanger Studio, Vancouver|
|Producer||Bryan Adams, John Boylan, Frank Filipetti, Russ Kunkel, George Massenburg, Rob Mounsey, Bill Payne, Richard Perry and Paul Samwell-Smith
Clive Davis: Executive Producer
|Carly Simon chronology|
|Singles from Coming Around Again|
Coming Around Again is singer-songwriter Carly Simon's 14th album, and 13th studio album, released in 1987. It is her first of many albums for Arista Records. The title track, along with "Itsy Bitsy Spider", was written for and featured in the 1986 film Heartburn.
The title song peaked at #18 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Simon's twelfth Top 40 hit in the USA. Additionally, it was a top 10 hit in the UK. The album itself reached #25 in both the US and the UK. It was certified Silver by the BPI in September 1987, and Platinum by the RIAA in early 1988. It has since sold nearly two million copies in the US.
Shortly after the album's release, a live outdoor concert also entitled "Carly Simon - Coming Around Again" was recorded in June 1987 on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts for HBO, and later released on video. On a pier in front of an invited audience, Simon and her band performed most of the songs from the album as well some of her older hits. The concert was also released as a live album in 1988 entitled Greatest Hits Live, and has also since been released on DVD as Live From Martha's Vineyard.
On October 27th, 2017, Hot Shot Records released a 30th Anniversary deluxe edition of the album. The two disc set includes 6 bonus tracks, including a 12" extended remix of the single "Give Me All Night", and the Oscar winning "Let the River Run", along with a 2nd disc consisting of Simon's aforementioned Greatest Hits Live album, retitled for this set as Carly in Concert - Coming Around Again. An in-depth interview with Simon is also included in the albums booklet.
Stephen Holden, writing for The New York Times, stated, "Coming Around Again, the latest and one of the strongest chapters in a growing catalogue, embodies everything that the 41-year-old singer-songwriter does best. Of all the confessional singer-songwriters who emerged out of the 60's counterculture to confide their personal feelings in recorded pop song cycles, she has been one of only a handful to sustain a major label recording career of such duration. And of that handful, she has stayed the closest to the personal confessional mode."
|1987||"Itsy Bitsy Spider"||Best Recording for Children||Nominated|
|1988||Coming Around Again||Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female||Nominated|
- "Coming Around Again" (Simon) 3:38
- "Give Me All Night" (Simon, Gerard McMahon) 4:20
- "As Time Goes By" (Herman Hupfeld) 5:06
- "Do The Walls Come Down" (Simon, Paul Samwell-Smith) 3:48
- "It Should Have Been Me" (Bryan Adams, Jim Vallance) 4:20
- "The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of" (Simon) 5:01
- "Two Hot Girls (On a Hot Summer Night)" (Simon) 4:51
- "You Have to Hurt" (Frank Musker, Dominic King) 4:04
- "All I Want Is You" (Andy Goldmark, Simon, Jacob Brackman) 3:58
- "Hold On To What You've Got" (Joe Tex, Simon) 3:40
- "Itsy Bitsy Spider" (Simon) 3:40
Album - Billboard (North America)
|1987||The Billboard 200||25|
Album - International
Singles - Billboard (North America)
|1986||"Coming Around Again"||Hot 100||18|
|1986||"Coming Around Again"||Adult Contemporary||5|
|1987||"All I Want Is You"||Hot 100||54|
|1987||"All I Want Is You"||Adult Contemporary||7|
|1987||"Give Me All Night"||Hot 100||61|
|1987||"Give Me All Night"||Adult Contemporary||5|
|1987||"The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of"||Adult Contemporary||8|
- Ruhlmann, William. "Allmusic review". Allmusic.com. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Carly Simon certifications". RIAA.com. Archived from the original on September 6, 2014. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- "Carly Simon Official Website - Live From Martha's Vineyard DVD". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on June 15, 2004. Retrieved September 6, 2014.
- "Coming Around Again: 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition". Cherry Red Records.com. Retrieved November 9, 2017.
- Hoerburger, Rob (June 18, 1987). "Album review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Album review". People. April 27, 1987. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Holden, Stephen (May 3, 1987). "Carly Simon's Emotion-Laden Self-Portrait". The New York Times. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Grammy Awards 1987". Awards&Shows.com. Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- "Carly Simon Official Website - Awards". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on October 19, 2007. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Carly Simon - Coming Around Again". Hitparade. Hitparade. Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- Carly Simon's Official Website
- "Coming Around Again" video on .