Special Operations Command (France)
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2013)|
The Commandement des Opérations Spéciales (COS; "Special Operations Command") is the organisation which coordinates the use of the French special forces of all military branches (Army, Navy, and Air Force). Similar to USSOCOM, COS was created on 24 June 1992, following the Gulf War. Its role is to direct and coordinate missions for special forces units; these are permanently under its direct command and immediately available for action.The command is led by a two star (U.S. equivalent of one star) general or flag officer.
Armée de Terre (Army)
- Brigade des Forces Spéciales Terre (BFST; "Army Special Forces Brigade") – Army special forces command.
- 1er régiment de parachutistes d'infanterie de marine – Tier-1 direct action unit.
- 13e Régiment de Dragons Parachutistes – Long range reconnaissance unit.
- 4e Régiment d'Hélicoptères des Forces Spéciales (4e RHFS; "4th Special Forces Helicopter Regiment") – Equipped with Gazelles, Pumas, Cougars and Tigers helicopters.
- Commandos-Marine ("Naval commandos") – Organised in six Commandos (in the original sense of a small unit/command), each of which has a specialisation, the hostages rescue team of the 2 assault-extraction commando (Jaubert and Trepel) are called Groupes de contre-terrorisme et de libération d'otages (Counter Terrorism and hostage rescue group). United they form the Escouade de contre-terrorisme et de libération d'otages (Counter Terrorism and hostage rescue Squad).
Armée de l'Air (Air Force)
- Commando parachutiste de l'air n°10 (CPA 10; "No. 10 Air Parachute Commando") – In the same sense as the naval Commandos; see above.
- Division des Opérations Spéciales (DOS; "Special Operations Division")
- Division des Opérations Spéciales/Transport (DOS/T; "Special Operations Division, Transport section") today, the Escadron de transport 3/61 "Poitou" – Uses C-130 Hercules and C-160 Transall.
- Division des Opérations Spéciales / Hélicoptères (DOS/H; "Special Operations Division, Helicopter section"). Integrated into the 4th RHFS.