Naval Forces Japan (United States)
|Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Japan
Navy Region Japan
Command insignia of Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Japan and Navy Region Japan
|Active||February 1, 1962 - present|
|Branch||United States Navy|
|Role||Acts as Navy representative and coordinator Japan for shore installation management|
|Part of||Commander, Navy Installations Command
Commander, United States Pacific Fleet
|RDML Gregory J. Fenton|
U.S. Naval Forces Japan/Navy Region Japan (CNFJ/CNRJ) is a dual-hatted command with command and control authority of all shore installations and assigned forces of the United States Navy in Japan as well as the responsibility to liaise with the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF). It is currently headquartered in Yokosuka, Japan, onboard United States Fleet Activities Yokosuka and is commanded by Rear Admiral Gregory J. Fenton, USN. CNFJ/CNRJ's area of responsibility extends from the southern tip of the Kamchatka peninsula to the northern tip of Taiwan, as well as the British Territory of Diego Garcia, but excludes the Korean peninsula.
As a dual-hatted commander, CNFJ/CNRJ reports to Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet for operational concerns and to Commander, Navy Installations Command for administrative and installation matters. The difference between the two titles is that CNFJ exerts operational control (OPCON) over shore-based Naval personnel in Japan, whereas CNRJ has administrative control of the installations and facilities. Essentially this, this means that all shore-based Naval forces in Japan are under the command and control of CNFJ/CNRJ.
- Task Force 90 (Amphibious Force, Far East)
- Task Force 93 (Naval Forces Philippines)
- Task Force 94 (Commander Naval Forces Marianas)
- Task Force 96 (Naval Forces Japan)
On 3 April 1951, Naval Forces Far East (NavFE) organization was restructured. As a result, the Service Forces, previously fragmented among separate United States Seventh Fleet and NavFE groups, were consolidated into a new Logistics Group, designated Task Force 92.
Current Subordinate Commands
- Naval Air Facility Atsugi
- Naval Air Facility Misawa onboard Misawa Air Base (support services to Naval personnel)
- Naval Support Facility Diego Garcia
- United States Fleet Activities Yokosuka
- United States Fleet Activities Sasebo
- Fleet Activities Okinawa onboard Kadena Air Base (support services to Naval personnel)
- "STANDARD NAVY DISTRIBUTION LIST SHORE CHAIN OF COMMAND" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-11.
- Rottman, Gordon L. (December 2002). Korean War Order of Battle: United States, United Nations, and Communist Ground, Naval, and Air Forces, 1950-1953. Publisher: Greenwood Publishing Group, Incorporated. ISBN 978-0-275-97835-8. p.90
- Rottman, 2002, 92.
- CNFJ official website