Commander of the Estonian Defence Forces
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Commander of the Defence Forces
Standard of the Commander of the Defence Force
|Estonian Defence Forces|
|Member of||Headquarters of the Estonian Defence Forces|
|Nominator||Minister of Defence (Estonia)|
|Appointer||Government of Estonia|
|Term length||Five years (with option for another two years)|
|First holder||General Johan Laidoner|
The Commander of the Defence Forces is Chief of the Estonian Defence Forces and the national defence organisations.
List of Commander of the Defence Forces
|№||Commander of the Defence Force||Took office||Left office||Time in office||Defence branch|
|23 December 1918|
1 December 1924
12 March 1934
|26 March 1920|
8 January 1925
22 June 1940
|1 year, 94 days|
6 years, 102 days
Total: 7 years, 234 days
|18 September 1944||24 October 1944||36 days|
|1 May 1993||4 December 1995||2 years, 217 days|
|23 January 1996||30 June 2000||4 years, 159 days|
|30 June 2000||21 September 2000||83 days|
|21 September 2000||14 November 2006||6 years, 54 days|
|5 December 2006||5 December 2011||5 years, 0 days|
|5 December 2011||5 December 2018||7 years, 0 days|
|5 December 2018||Incumbent||220 days|
- First term served during Estonian War of Independence. Made commander-in-chief twice under martial law. Eventually removed from position on 22 June 1940, after Soviet Union occupied Estonia.
- Served as commander-in-chief in the period between the German occupation and second Soviet occupation. Captured by the Soviets on 24 October 1944.
- Resigned on 4 December 1995 due to a disagreement with the Minister of Defence.
- Was requested to make a resignation by the head of state, head of government and the Minister of Defence, but refused. Impeached by the President of the Republic on 30 June 2000.
- Requested to be resigned to enter politics.
- "KKindral Johannes Kert jääb kaitseväe juhiks". epl.delfi.ee. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- "Johannes Kert: "Ma isegi ei tea, kes just praegu olen!"". epl.delfi.ee. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- "Johannes Kerdi vabastamine ja Aarne Ermuse nimetamine". www.riigiteataja.ee. Retrieved 2018-01-19.