Commando Battalion for Resolute Action
This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Commando Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA)|
Special Action Force
"यश या मृत्यु"|
"Glory or Death"
|Formed||12 September, 2008|
|Annual budget||Rs. 13 billion|
|Population||10,000 Active Personnel|
|Primary governing body||Central Reserve Police Force|
|Secondary governing body||Ministry of Home Affairs (India)|
|Headquarters||Old Sectretariate, Civil Lines, Delhi.|
|Parent agency||Central Reserve Police Force|
COBRA (backronym for COmmando Battalion for Resolute Action) is a specialised unit of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) of India proficient in guerrilla tactics and jungle warfare. Originally established to counter the Naxalite problem, CoBRA is deployed to address any insurgent group engaging in asymmetrical warfare. Currently numbering ten battalions, CoBRA is ranked among one of India's most experienced and successful law enforcement units.
In 2009, the MHA has approved raising of 10 CoBRA (Commando Battalion for Resolute Action) to meet the challenges being posed by naxalites. In view of naxal's violent and focused attacks on Security Forces; it was essential that appropriate counter strategy be evolved which strikes the naxals in their stronghold. Accordingly, in phased manner the CoBRA battalions were raised – 02 Bn in 2008–09, 04 Bn in 2009–10, 04 Bn in 2010–11.
CoBRA Battalions are well trained and adept in multi tasking skills operations in the most arduous terrain. CoBRA personnel are trained in guerrilla warfare, field engineering, tracking of explosives, jungle survival techniques along with ops tactics to fight insurgents. Specialized training programme includes jungle warfare, Ops planning and execution, physical endurance, map reading and GPS, intelligence, heli-slithering.
Special intelligence courses have been conducted by premier intelligence agencies to train troops in intelligence gathering. To maintain uniformity of standards and evolution of a unique CoBRA ethos as well as training of troops, a dedicated CoBRA school of jungle warfare & tactics is under active consideration.
CoBRA Bn, true to its training and competence have killed 61 naxals and apprehended 866 suspects as well as recovered huge amount of arms, ammunition and explosives till 2011. The CoBRA personnel's efforts have also been acknowledged with 200 plus DG commendation discs. The valour and gallant actions of CoBRA have been recognised and the personnel have been decorated with 09 Gallantry medals including two Shaurya Chakra. CoBRA Commando Ashish Kumar Tiwari was awarded Shaurya Chakra for single-handedly pinning down a squad of Maoists which resulted in the killing of a top naxal leader and Asst Commandant RV Mishra for taking down a group of 32 Maoists in Jharkhand in a clandestine operation with a team of only 8 and killing 5 Maoist even after a mine shredded his leg while trying to save a fellow member.
The Indian government established 10 units for CoBRA since 2008.
Firearms & Equipment
Cobra is the best-equipped Central Armed Police unit in the country, set up with a grant of ₹ 13 thousand million [ long scale ] (or 13 billion [ Short scale ]) from the Central government. They have been armed as a regular infantry platoon with:-
3.X-95 assault rifle
6.Heckler & Koch MP5 submachine guns
7.Carl Gustav recoilless rifle.
Cobras also have hi-tech electronic surveillance equipment and well-trained sniper teams, armed with:-
9. Mauser SP66
10.Heckler & Koch MSG-90 sniper rifles.
Cobras are trained in the CRPF Elite jungle warfare institutions in Belgaum and Koraput. Their training regime(physical) and duration is similar to that of lines of Elite NSG Commandos. Main Tactics focus part is jungle warfare. They are adept in the art of camouflage and jungle warfare.Every personnel of CoBRA are trained for heli jump like the parachute regiment. Regular refreshing training is carried out of the commandos to check their physical and firing skills matching the standard.Their role is to carry out reconnaissance and long range patrols, gather intelligence on the whereabouts of the insurgents, and also carry out ambushes and precision strikes when required. Their sniper teams can also be used to headshot key targets.
After 3 months of rigorous training(Same patters as that of NSG) in Belgaum or Koraput,CoBRA members are deployed to their respective units to counter-Naxal activities.
- Ops conducted in Singamdgu Dantewada district. on 17 September 2009 in which approx 30–40 Maoists were believed to have been killed .
- On 9 January 2010 under PS Jagargunda in district. Dantewada, 4 Maoists were killed and 112 Bore Gun with 4 Cartridges, 3 Muzzle Loading Gun, 2 Tiffin Bomb, 1 improvised explosive device, Drum and Maoists literature with photographs were recovered.
- Ops Jaws carried out by 08 teams of 203 CoBRA from 11 TO 15 June in area of PS Sonua & Bandgaon District.- W/ Singhbhum, Jharkhand in which a full-fledged Maoists camp was destroyed and reportedly 12 Maoists cadres were killed.
- During a special ops launched in Duli forest area in W/Midnapur district. (WB) on 15–16 June 2010, 8 Maoists cadres were killed and a huge cache of arms/amns were recovered.
- During a special ops launched in Kayma forest area in W/Midnapur District. (WB) from 25–26 July 2010, 6 Maoists cadres were killed and a huge cache of arms/amns were recovered.
- In a special ops launched in Saranda forest area in District. – W/Singhbhum, Jharkhand from 24–28 September 2010 Cobra teams were able to penetrate deep in forest and kill one Maoist, apprehend 4 Maoists cadres, bust 12 Maoist camps and recover of arms/amn/explosives.
- "CRPF - CENTRAL RESERVE POLICE FORCE, GOVT. OF INDIA". Archived from the original on 15 May 2015. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) - Frontpage - COBRA on way to fight Naxalites in Jharkhand". Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Dholabhai, Nishit (7 September 2008) "COBRA on way to fight Naxalites in Jharkhand" The Telegraph, retrieved 19 June 2009
- Indian COBRA Troops to Take on Maoist Insurgents Defence News
- Mund, Prasenjit; Mandal Caesar (19 June 2009). "Shadow warriors:Guerrillas wary of Cobra strike". The Times of India. Kolkata: 2.
- "CRPF Maintaining Peace in Nation". Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Times of India (6 October 2012)"All-out war against PLFI before puja"
- "Indian Ordnance Factories: Weapons". Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Indian Ordnance Factories: OFB in Brief". Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Press Information Bureau English Releases". Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Media related to Commando Battalion for Resolute Action at Wikimedia Commons