|Cock's-foot grass (Dactylis glomerata)|
In plant taxonomy, commelinids (originally commelinoids) (plural, not capitalised) is a name used by the APG III system for a clade within the monocots, which in its turn is a clade within the angiosperms. The commelinids are the only clade that the APG has informally named within the monocots. The remaining monocots are a paraphyletic unit. Also known as the commelinid monocots it forms one of three groupings within the monocots, and the final branch, the other two groups being the alismatid monocots and the lilioid monocots.
The commelinids were first recognized as a formal group in 1967 by Armen Takhtajan, who named them the Commelinidae and assigned them to a subclass of the monocots. However, by the release of his 1980 system of classification, he had merged this subclass into a larger one no longer considered to be a clade.
The commelinids constitute a well-supported clade within the monocots, and this clade has been recognized in all three APG classification systems. The commelinids of APG II (2003) and APG III (2009) contain essentially the same plants as the commelinoids of the earlier APG system (1998). In APG IV (2016) the family Dasypogonaceae is no longer directly placed under commelinids but instead a family of order Arecales.
|clade monocots :||
|The current phylogeny and composition of the commelinids.|
- APG (1998). "An ordinal classification for the families of flowering plants". Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden. 85: 531-553. (4): 531–553. JSTOR 2992015.
- APG II (2003). "An Update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group Classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG II". Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 141 (141): 399–436. doi:10.1046/j.1095-8339.2003.t01-1-00158.x.
- Dahlgren, R. M. T.; Rassmussen, F. (1983). "Monocotyledon evolution. Characters and phylogenetic estimation". Evol. Biol. 16: 255–395.
- Takhtajan, A. (1967). Система и филогения цветкорых растений (Systema et Phylogenia Magnoliophytorum). Moscow: Nauka.
- Cantino, Philip D.; James A. Doyle; Sean W. Graham; Walter S. Judd; Richard G. Olmstead; Douglas E. Soltis; Pamela S. Soltis; Michael J. Donoghue (2007). "Towards a phylogenetic nomenclature of Tracheophyta". Taxon 56 (3): E1–E44. doi:10.2307/25065865.
- Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (2016). "An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG IV" (PDF). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 181 (1): 1–20. doi:10.1111/boj.12385. Retrieved 2016-04-10.
- "An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG III". Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 161: 105–121. 2009. doi:10.1111/j.1095-8339.2009.00996.x.
|Wikispecies has information related to: Commelinids|
Media related to Commelinids at Wikimedia Commons