I&M Bank Rwanda Limited
|Irwin William Carlisle
|Products||Loans, Checking, Savings, Investments, Debit Cards|
|Revenue||Aftertax US$ 6.77 million (RWF:5 billion) (December 2015)|
|Total assets||US$232.8 million (RWF:172 billion) (December 2015)|
Number of employees
The bank is a medium-sized bank, serving large corporations, small-to-medium businesses, and individuals. As of December 2015[update], the bank's total assets were valued at RWF 175 billion (approx. US$232.8 million). Shareholder's equity at 31 December 2014 was approximately US$28.9 million (RWF:21.6 billion). *Note: US$1.00 = RWF738.84 on 6 August 2016
The bank was opened in 1963 under the name Banque Commerciale du Rwanda (BCR) or Commercial Bank of Rwanda. In the beginning, it was wholly owned by the Government of Rwanda. In 2004, it was privatized. As of April 2010, Actis Capital owned 80 percent and the Rwandan government owned the remaining 20 percent of the financial institution. Actis Capital is a private equity investment firm, headquartered in London, United Kingdom, that specializes in investments in developing countries. The firm's investment portifolio was almost US$5 billion as of April 2010.
In July 2012, Actis Capital divested from BCR by selling its shares to a consortium of the I&M Bank Group from Kenya, PROPARCO from France, and the German Investment Corporation. The Rwandan government retained its shares in the bank.
In August 2013, the bank rebranded to I&M Bank (Rwanda) to reflect its current shareholding.
In September 2015, I&M Bank Rwanda appointed its current Managing Director - Robin Bairstow
I&M Bank Group
I&M Bank (Rwanda) is a member of the I&M Bank Group of companies. The group is a leading financial services provider in East Africa, with an asset base estimated at over US$1.875 billion (KSh176.5 billion) as of December 2014. The group has operations in Kenya, Mauritius, Rwanda, and Tanzania.
As of April 2015[update], the bank's stock was owned by the entities listed in the table below. At that time, there were plans for the government of Rwanda to list its shareholding on the Rwanda Stock Exchange, by floating an initial public offering.
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||I&M Bank Group||55.0|
|3||German Investment Corporation (DEG)||12.5|
|4||Government of Rwanda||19.8|
I&M Bank (Rwanda) maintains the following branches, as of April 2015:
- Main Branch - 11 Boulevard de la Revolution, Kigali
- Kacyiru-Umubano Branch - Umubano Hotel, Boulevard de l'Umuganda, Gasabo District, Kigali
- Remera Branch - Kisimenti, Remera, Kigali
- Nyamirambo Branch - Rwezamenyo Sector, Nyamirambo, Kigali
- Mateus Branch - Rue du Travail, Mateus Quarter, Kigali
- Rusizi Branch - Kamembe Sector, Cyangugu
- Nyabugogo Branch - Building Inkundamahoro, Nyabugogo, Kigali
- Rubavu Branch - Gisenyi Sector, Gisenyi (Also known as Gisenyi Branch)
- Musanze Branch - Muhoza Sector, Musanze
- Gicumbi Branch - Byumba Sector, Byumba
- Rwamagana Branch - Kigabiro Sector, Rwamagana
- Karongi Branch - RSSB Building, Karongi, Western Province
- Kenya Airways Branch - UTC Building, Nyarugenge, Kigali (Also known as Nyarugenge Branch)
- Magerwa Branch - Gikondo, Magerwa, Kigali
- Huye Branch - Ngoma Sector, Huye, Southern Province
- Kigali City Market, Nyarugenge, Kigali
- I&MBR, . (2013). "I&M Bank Rwanda: Board of Directors". I&M Bank Rwanda (I&MBR). Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- Ojulu, Edward (23 July 2012). "Rwanda: Why BCR Is A Good Buy For Its New Investors". Rwanda Focus via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- BNR, . (2013). "List of Licensed Banks In Rwanda" (PDF). National Bank of Rwanda (BNR). Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 July 2015. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- Uwanziga, Appolonia (31 March 2016). "Rwanda: I&M Bank Net Profit Rises to Rw5 Billion, Lender to Strengthen E-Platforms". New Times (Rwanda) via AllAfrica.com. Kigali. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- I&M Bank Rwanda. "I&M Bank (Rwanda) Limited: Statement of Financial Position As At 31 December 2014" (PDF). I&M Bank Group (I&MBG). Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- I&MBR, . (2010). "The History of I&M Bank (Rwanda)". I&M Bank Rwanda (I&MBR). Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- Joint Report, . (13 November 2011). "Actis To Sale Stake In BCR, Umeme And DFCU". The EastAfrican (Nairobi). Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- Rubadiri, Victoria (18 July 2012). "I&M Bank Ventures Into Rwanda Market". 98.4 Capital FM (Nairobi). Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- Gasore, Ben (8 December 2013). "Rwanda: BCR Rebrands To I&M Bank". New Times (Rwanda) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- Tumwebaze, Peterson. "'Banking sector must serve all market segments equally'". The New Times Rwanda. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- Wainainah, Doreen (13 April 2015). "I&M Bank Rwanda To Go Public As State Prepares To Sell Its 19.8% Stake". The EastAfrican (Nairobi). Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Gasore, Ben (7 April 2015). "Government To Sell Its Stake In I&M Bank To Public Through An IPO". New Times (Rwanda). Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- IMBR, . (2014). "The Branches of I&M Bank (Rwanda)". I&M Bank (Rwanda) (IMBR). Retrieved 27 April 2015.