Commission of Railway Safety
|Formed||1 November 1961|
|Jurisdiction||Government of India|
|Headquarters||Ashok Marg, NE Railway Compound, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Civil Aviation (India)|
The Commission of Railway Safety (Hindi: रेल सुरक्षा आयोग) is a government agency of India. Subordinate to the Ministry of Civil Aviation, the commission is the rail safety authority in India, as directed by The Railways Act, 1989. The agency investigates rail accidents. Its head office is in the North-East Railway Compound in Lucknow. As of 2017, Shri Sudarshan Nayak is the Chief Commissioner of Railway Safety (CCRS).
Organisational Structure & Jurisdiction
The Commission is headed by a Chief Commissioner of Railway Safety (CCRS), at Lucknow, who also acts as Principal Technical Advisor to the Central Government in all matters pertaining to railway safety. Working under the administrative control of CCRS are 9 Commissioners of Railway Safety (CRS), each one exercising jurisdiction over one or more of the 16 Zonal Railways. In addition, Metro Railway (Kolkata), DMRC (Delhi), MRTS (Chennai) and Konkan Railway also fall under their jurisdiction. There are 5 Deputy Commissioners of Railway Safety posted in the Headquarters at Lucknow for assisting the CCRS as and when required. In addition, there are 2 field Deputy Commissioners, one each in Mumbai and Kolkata, to assist the Commissioners of Railway Safety in matters concerning the Signalling and Telecommunication disciplines.
- "Commission of Railway Safety." (Archive) Ministry of Civil Aviation. Retrieved on 19 February 2012. "Ashok Marg, NE Railway compound , Lucknow- 226001."
- "Annual Report 2009-2010." (Archive) Commission of Railway Safety. 1. Retrieved on 19 February 2012.
- "Commission of Railway Safety - Directory". www.crs.gov.in. Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- "Rail Safety Commissioner begins probe - Indian Express". archive.indianexpress.com. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Commission of Railway Safety". www.crs.gov.in. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "MUD must appoint its own Commissioner for Metro Rail Safety: E.Sreedharan". RailNews Media India Ltd. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Commission of Railway Safety". www.crs.gov.in. Retrieved 2016-08-14.