Commissioners of Nunavut
|Commissioner of Nunavut|
Badge of the Commissioner of Nunavut
Flag of the Commissioner of Nunavut
|Formation||April 1, 1999|
|First holder||Helen Maksagak|
This is a list of the Commissioners of Nunavut, Canada, since its creation in 1999. As of 12 May 2010, the commissioner is Nellie Kusugak. The commissioner is appointed by the Government of Canada, but a commissioner, in contrast to the Governor General of Canada or the Lieutenants-Governor of the Canadian Provinces, is not a viceroy and therefore commissioners are not direct representatives of the monarch in the territory.
The position was created in 1999 with the creation of the new Nunavut territory. Like other territorial commissioners, he or she is appointed by the Government of Canada and represents the Canadian cabinet in the territory.
|1||Helen Mamayaok Maksagak||1999-2000|
|3||Ann Meekitjuk Hanson||2005-2010|
|||Nellie Kusugak (acting)||2010|
|Helen Mamayaok Maksagak||2005-2009|
Living former Commissioners
The duties of the Commissioner is similar to that of the lieutenant governors of the provinces, but, they represent the Government of Canada not the monarch therefore, they are not viceroys.
- Elias named Nunavut commissioner
- Committee appointed to find the next Nunavut commissioner
- PM announces Nellie Taptaqut Kusugak as Commissioner of Nunavut
- Regulations Amending the Formal Documents Regulations
- Minister Valcourt Announces Re-Appointment of Nellie T. Kusugak as Deputy Commissioner of Nunavut