Commissioning of the Twelve Apostles
The commissioning of the Twelve Apostles is an episode in the ministry of Jesus that appears in all three Synoptic Gospels: Matthew 10:1–4, Mark 3:13–19 and Luke 6:12–16. It relates the initial selection of the Twelve Apostles among the disciples of Jesus.
According to Luke:
One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God. When morning came, he called his disciples to him and chose twelve of them, whom he also designated apostles: Simon (whom he named Peter), his brother Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James son of Alphaeus, Simon who was called the Zealot, Judas son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.
According to Matthew:
Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out impure spirits and to heal every disease and sickness. These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.
According to Mark:
Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted, and they came to him. He appointed twelve that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach and to have authority to drive out demons. These are the twelve he appointed: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter), James son of Zebedee and his brother John (to them he gave the name Boanerges, which means “sons of thunder”), Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James son of Alphaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.
|Events in the|
|Life of Jesus|
according to the canonical gospels
|Portals: Christianity Bible|
- Calling of Matthew
- Dispersion of the Apostles
- First disciples of Jesus
- Gospel harmony
- The Great Commission
- Life of Jesus in the New Testament
- Matthew 10, Mark 3, Luke 6
- The first gospel by Harold Riley, 1992 ISBN 0-86554-409-3 page 47
- Mercer dictionary of the Bible by Watson E. Mills, Roger Aubrey Bullard 1998 ISBN 0-86554-373-9 page 48
- New International Version, online at Bible gateway
- New International Version, online at |https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+10%3A1%E2%80%934&version=NIV}}
- "New International Version (NIV)". Bible Gateway. Retrieved 16 May 2020.
- The life of Jesus by David Friedrich Strauss, 1860 published by Calvin Blanchard, page 340