|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
|Studio album by Commodores|
|Released||March 30, 1977|
|Producer||James Anthony Carmichael The Commodores|
|Singles from Commodores|
Commodores is the self-titled fifth studio album by the Commodores, released in 1977. The album spent eight weeks at the top of the R&B/soul albums chart, the second of their albums to do so, and was their first Top 5 pop album.
There is also a previously released extended version.
The band employed a variety of musical styles for the album, highlighted by the popular anthem "Brick House". With Walter Orange's squeaking/growling voice on the lead, and Ronald LaPread's roundtone bassline, this track peaked on the U.S. Hot 100 at #5, and the U.S. R&B Chart at #4. As their second single, "Brick House" helped to propel the Commodores into the spotlight as a leading R&B act.
"Zoom" is one of the Commodores' best known tunes, despite not being released as a single in the US. It reached #38 on the UK singles chart. Fergie sampled "Zoom" in her song "All That I Got (The Make-Up Song)" on the album The Dutchess.
In the UK, this album was released as Zoom on Tamla Motown STML 12057.
The album was dedicated to Kathy Faye LaPread, bass guitarist Ronald LaPread's wife, who died from cancer around that time.
- "Squeeze the Fruit" - (Walter Orange) 3:00
- "Funny Feelings" - (Lionel Richie, Thomas McClary) 4:51
- "Heaven Knows" - (Lionel Richie, Thomas McClary) 4:41
- "Zoom" - (Lionel Richie, Ronald LaPread) 6:43
- "Won't You Come Dance with Me" - (Lionel Richie, Thomas McClary) 3:47
- "Brick House" - (Shirley Hanna-King [uncredited], Lionel Richie, Milan Williams, Walter Orange, Ronald LaPread, Thomas McClary, William King) 3:27
- "Funky Situation" - (William King) 3:39
- "Patch It Up" - (Milan Williams) 3:58
- "Easy" - (Lionel Richie) 4:16
Extended track time release:
- "Squeeze the Fruit" 3:03
- "Funny Feelings" 5:57
- "Heaven Knows" 6:16
- "Zoom" 7:06
- "Won't You Come Dance with Me" 4:08
- "Brick House" 3:46
- "Funky Situation" 4:12
- "Patch It Up" 4:03
- "Easy" 4:50
- Lionel Richie - vocals, saxophone, keyboards
- Thomas McClary - vocals, guitar
- Milan Williams - keyboards
- Ronald LaPread - bass guitar
- William King - trumpet
- Walter Orange - drums, vocals, percussion
Samples and Covers
- Yo-Yo sampled "Brick House" on her song Mama Don't Take No Mess off the 1991 soundtrack Boyz N The Hood. 
- E-40 sampled "Zoom" on his song "Zoom off his 1998 album The Element of Surprise. 
- Cam'ron featuring Juelz Santana, Freekey Zekey and Toya sampled "Easy" on his song Hey Ma off his 2002 album Come Home with Me. 
- Snoop Dogg featuring R. Kelly sampled "Zoom" on his song Pimpin Ain't EZ off his 2009 album Malice n Wonderland. 
- Geto Boys sampled "Easy" on their song Six Feet Deep off their 1993 album Til Death Do Us Part.
- Zoom Songfacts
- The Story Behind the Song: "Zoom" by the Commodores SoulTracks
- "The Commodores US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "The Commodores US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-15.