|Live album by|
|Released||September 20, 2019|
|Venue||The Village Vanguard, NYC|
|Ethan Iverson chronology|
Common Practice is a live album by American jazz pianist Ethan Iverson's quartet featuring trumpeter Tom Harrell. The album was released on 20 September 2019 by the ECM label. The album was recorded in Village Vanguard in January 2017.
In his review AllMusic's Matt Collar wrote "It's that kind of deft spontaneity that makes Common Practice an endlessly engaging listen." Bill Milkowski of DownBeat stated " Throughout the program, Iverson simultaneously offers a heartfelt love letter to standards while spray-painting his own tag all over them. The star here is Harrell, and the man behind the curtain is Iverson." Larry Blumenfeld of The Wall Street Journal commented "This album answers jazz’s current existential question—should we swing or not?—with an emphatic affirmative. Yet it doesn’t sound nostalgic or even terribly conventional, owing to the relaxed and elastic feel achieved by this rhythm section."
Dave Gelly of The Guardian added "Another live album by a jazz quartet playing Great American Songbook tunes? Er, well, up to a point. There are certainly eight vintage standards here, along with a bebop classic and two originals, but I wouldn’t recommend any of them as singalong material." Paddy Kehoe of RTÉ.ie stated " It is pleasant but not overly-so. God forbid you might feel too idyllic, then it's not real enough. In short, the work here is not intended to frighten the horses." Andy Hamilton of Jazz Journal noted "Harrell’s solos in particular, in their apparent simplicity, pathos and melodic beauty, are some of the finest you’ll hear among this year’s releases. As it’s ECM, the live recording is palpably present."
|1.||"The Man I Love"||George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin||6:26|
|4.||"I Can't Get Started"||Ira Gershwin, Vernon Duke||6:36|
|5.||"Sentimental Journey"||Benjamin Homer, Bud Green, Les Brown||4:33|
|6.||"Out of Nowhere"||Edward Heyman, Johnny Green||6:32|
|7.||"Polka Dots and Moonbeams"||Jimmy Van Heusen, Johnny Burke||6:01|
|8.||"All the Things You Are"||Jerome Kern, Oscar Hammerstein II||5:51|
|9.||"Jed From Teaneck"||Iverson||6:31|
|10.||"I'm Getting Sentimental Over You"||George Bassman, Ned Washington||5:10|
|11.||"I Remember You"||Johnny Mercer, Victor Schertzinger||6:25|
- Collar, Matt. "Common Practice - Ethan Iverson | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 20 January 2020.
- Milkowski, Bill (November 2019). "Ethan Iverson Quartet With Tom Harrell Common Practice (ECM)". DownBeat. Retrieved 20 January 2020.
- Hamilton, Andy (5 December 2019). "Ethan Iverson Quartet with Tom Harrell: Common Practice | Jazz Journal". Jazz Journal. Retrieved 16 March 2020.
- Gelly, Dave (20 October 2019). "Ethan Iverson Quartet: Common Practice review – outrageously logical". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 January 2020.
- Kehoe, Paddy (1 October 2019). "Ethan Iverson - Common Practice". RTÉ.ie. Retrieved 20 January 2020.
- "COMMON PRACTICE ETHAN IVERSON QUARTET W/ TOM HARRELL". ECM Records. Retrieved 20 January 2020.
- Tamarkin, Jeff (18 December 2019). "Ethan Iverson Quartet with Tom Harrell: Common Practice". Relix. Retrieved 20 January 2020.
- "Ethan Iverson Quartet With Tom Harrell - Common Practice". Discogs (in Russian). Retrieved 20 January 2020.
- Blumenfeld, Larry (September 16, 2019). "'Common Practice' by Ethan Iverson Review: Swinging Standards With a Contemporary Twist". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 20 January 2020.
- "The Year in Review: Top 50 Albums of 2019 - Page 6 of 7". JazzTimes. 27 February 2020. Retrieved 16 March 2020.