Common Turkic languages
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Southwestern Common Turkic (Oghuz)
- Northwestern Common Turkic (Kipchak)
- Southeastern Common Turkic (Karluk/Uyghur)
- Northeastern Common Turkic (Siberian)
In that classification scheme, Common Turkic is opposed to Oghur Turkic (Lir-Turkic). The Common Turkic languages are characterized by sound correspondences such as Common Turkic š versus Oghuric l and Common Turkic z versus Oghuric r.
- Lars Johanson (1998) The History of Turkic. In Lars Johanson & Éva Ágnes Csató (eds) The Turkic Languages. London, New York: Routledge, 81–125.