Commonwealth MRT Station
Platform of Commonwealth MRT station before the installation of PSD (Platform Screen Doors)
|Location||375 Commonwealth Avenue
|Operated by||SMRT Trains (SMRT Corporation)|
|Opened||12 March 1988|
Commonwealth MRT Station (EW20) is an above-ground MRT station located on the East West Line of the Mass Rapid Transit in Queenstown, Singapore. The station serves the nearby neighbourhoods of Tanglin Halt and Commonwealth and schools such as New Town Primary School and Queensway Secondary School. Its station colour is yellow.
The residential estates and station bearing the same name were named after Commonwealth Avenue built around 1963, in turn named after the British Commonwealth of Nations. Commonwealth station is a transport node for residents in the vicinity of Commonwealth Avenue, serving adjacent schools, places of worship, housing developments and businesses.
When the MRT network commenced operations in 1987, Commonwealth as with all above-ground stations had no physical barriers between the platforms and tracks. Following numerous incidents of commuters falling on the tracks and unauthorized intrusions, the Land Transport Authority made the decision in 2008 to install half height platform screen doors for all above-ground stations in phases. The screen doors were installed on January 2011 and started operations on 28 April 2011 together with Queenstown.
The fans began operating since 25 June 2012, together with Buona Vista, after the installation of the MJ Air Tech High Volume, Low Speed (HVLS) Pro-Jet fans completed.
|L3||Platform A||East West Line towards via Pasir Ris → Queenstown
East West Line towards via Changi Airport → Queenstown
(Transfer at ) Tanah Merah
|Platform B||East West Line towards via Tuas Link ← Buona Vista|
|L2||EWL Concourse||Faregates, Ticketing Machines, Station Control, Footbridge to cross Commonwealth Avenue|
|L1||Street Level||Commonwealth Avenue|
|Destination||First Train||Last Train|
|Mon – Sat||Sunday &
|East West Line|
|to EW1 Pasir Ris||5.45am||6.13am||11.55pm|
|to EW33 Tuas Link||6.13am||6.39am||12.13am|
- A and D: Commonwealth Avenue, Tanglin Halt Road, Faith Methodist Church, Haw Par Techno Centre, MDIS, New Town Primary School, Queenstown CC, Queenstown Polyclinic, Sheng Siong Supermarket
- B and C: Commonwealth Avenue, Commonwealth Close, GMTI Building, Leng Kee Carmart, MOE Heritage Centre, One Commonwealth, Queenstown Lutheran Church, Queensway Secondary School, Yin Foh Kuan Cemetery
Together with Queenstown and Clementi stations, an additional pedestrian link bridge linking the station to two new exits were built, one on each side of the road. The exits are equipped with fare gates and ticketing machines, whereas the exit numbers are divided into 1 and 2 respectively. These new exits were opened on 23 August 2015, alongside Queenstown.
- "Commonwealth MRT Station". Land Transport Guru.
- Wong, Siew Ying (January 26, 2008). "Above-ground MRT stations to have platform screen doors by 2012". Channel NewsAsia. Archived from the original on July 30, 2012. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Enhancing Connectivity and Comfort for Commuters". LTA. 2011-10-13.
|This Singapore MRT-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|